Hermann Schmidt Vise question
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hermann Schmidt Vise question

Hey guys, many eons ago I purchased a brand new Hermann Schmidt 6 inch grinding vise. The way my apprenticeship worked out, the thing was hardly ever used, probably 200 hours or so. This vise is perfect condition, no marks, nicks or even scratches. The other day one of our apprentices offered to buy it, I am considering, because I will very likely never use it again. This guy is a good kid and I was in his shoes 30 years ago so I don't want to stiff him on the price, but after all money is money and the new ones go for around 7 bills.. What would you guys charge him if you were me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Id give it to him for $250. If he wasn't a good kid $400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would give him some tool steel and time to mill/grind his own vise. And I'd offer the Schmidt on Ebay and/or here at a reasonable price, on the order of 30-40% new.

May take a while, but he'd learn more and you'd get more. Win-win.

4. Likes tdmidget, janvanruth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think if it is like new 50% to 60% of new price would be fair. Or you could tell him to pound sand and sell it to me. Just kidding. Jason

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 5 axis Fidia guy View Post
    Hey guys, many eons ago I purchased a brand new Hermann Schmidt 6 inch grinding vise. The way my apprenticeship worked out, the thing was hardly ever used, probably 200 hours or so. This vise is perfect condition, no marks, nicks or even scratches. The other day one of our apprentices offered to buy it, I am considering, because I will very likely never use it again. This guy is a good kid and I was in his shoes 30 years ago so I don't want to stiff him on the price, but after all money is money and the new ones go for around 7 bills.. What would you guys charge him if you were me?
    HS is one of those things/companies that sell because of who they are IMO. I am certainly not saying it is not a nice vise, or worth the money, but "the kid" probably won't like the price, or be able to appreciate the craftsmanship. Have him buy a chinese import (I know! )

https://www.amazon.com/Screwless-Too...gateway&sr=8-2

Inspect it for squareness and fit/function, THEN he can make one of a better design if he wants to...

Just from my own experience, I bought a few brand new Starrett things when I was starting out and I don't use them that much, so it was kind of money wasted. BUT I did not really learn that until I had some years in me and knew who's who of tooling and what I really needed brand name AND great quality, and what I could skimp on or make my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What would you guys charge him if you were me?
    That's hard to say, because we don't know the guy. But I'd charge whatever you feel comfortable with.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you like the kid and he has done good work for you, give it to him or offer to trade it for a half days work or something. Good people don't forget the people that have been nice/generous to them. It sounds like the vise has no real value to you, so why not pass it on?

ps - the pm forum software is terrible. i tried to edit this post ( vise vs vice ) and all i got was a blank screen that somehow ended up deleting my original post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Half off? Nice tools help you do better work, and he's doing this work for you, right? When I was starting out I had some of the older tool and die makers offer to sell me their couple year old tools for 80% of new to help me out, I never bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrStretch View Post
    If you like the kid and he has done good work for you, give it to him or offer to trade it for a half days work or something. Good people don't forget the people that have been nice/generous to them. It sounds like the vise has no real value to you, so why not pass it on?

ps - the pm forum software is terrible. i tried to edit this post ( vise vs vice ) and all i got was a blank screen that somehow ended up deleting my original post.
    I told him he could have it if he would help me shingle my roof for a weekend, he did not bite.. He is a millennial after all so hard manual labor does not fit his lifestyle, lol.. I think half price would be a good deal, plus if I ever needed it during the rest of my career he would let me. He is in the middle of building a house with his girl so I sort of feel the squeeze he is in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

... hard manual labor does not fit his lifestyle, lol..
    Not sure I see that as an "lol" thing.

I don't mean to dispute your judgement since you know him and we don't, but just how sure are you that he is "a good kid" when it comes to his future as a machinist?

-Marty-

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He is just a few months away from finishing his apprenticeship. You get a good feel for a guy by then.