What's new
What's new

Hermann Schmidt Vise question

5 axis Fidia guy

Stainless
Hey guys, many eons ago I purchased a brand new Hermann Schmidt 6 inch grinding vise. The way my apprenticeship worked out, the thing was hardly ever used, probably 200 hours or so. This vise is perfect condition, no marks, nicks or even scratches. The other day one of our apprentices offered to buy it, I am considering, because I will very likely never use it again. This guy is a good kid and I was in his shoes 30 years ago so I don't want to stiff him on the price, but after all money is money and the new ones go for around 7 bills.. What would you guys charge him if you were me?

I would give him some tool steel and time to mill/grind his own vise. And I'd offer the Schmidt on Ebay and/or here at a reasonable price, on the order of 30-40% new.

May take a while, but he'd learn more and you'd get more. Win-win.

I would think if it is like new 50% to 60% of new price would be fair. Or you could tell him to pound sand and sell it to me. Just kidding. Jason

Hey guys, many eons ago I purchased a brand new Hermann Schmidt 6 inch grinding vise. The way my apprenticeship worked out, the thing was hardly ever used, probably 200 hours or so. This vise is perfect condition, no marks, nicks or even scratches. The other day one of our apprentices offered to buy it, I am considering, because I will very likely never use it again. This guy is a good kid and I was in his shoes 30 years ago so I don't want to stiff him on the price, but after all money is money and the new ones go for around 7 bills.. What would you guys charge him if you were me?

HS is one of those things/companies that sell because of who they are IMO. I am certainly not saying it is not a nice vise, or worth the money, but "the kid" probably won't like the price, or be able to appreciate the craftsmanship. Have him buy a chinese import (I know! :eek:)

https://www.amazon.com/Screwless-To...grinding+vise&qid=1560540766&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Inspect it for squareness and fit/function, THEN he can make one of a better design if he wants to...

Just from my own experience, I bought a few brand new Starrett things when I was starting out and I don't use them that much, so it was kind of money wasted. BUT I did not really learn that until I had some years in me and knew who's who of tooling and what I really needed brand name AND great quality, and what I could skimp on or make my own.

If you like the kid and he has done good work for you, give it to him or offer to trade it for a half days work or something. Good people don't forget the people that have been nice/generous to them. It sounds like the vise has no real value to you, so why not pass it on?

ps - the pm forum software is terrible. i tried to edit this post ( vise vs vice ) and all i got was a blank screen that somehow ended up deleting my original post.

Half off? Nice tools help you do better work, and he's doing this work for you, right? When I was starting out I had some of the older tool and die makers offer to sell me their couple year old tools for 80% of new to help me out, I never bit.

If you like the kid and he has done good work for you, give it to him or offer to trade it for a half days work or something. Good people don't forget the people that have been nice/generous to them. It sounds like the vise has no real value to you, so why not pass it on?

ps - the pm forum software is terrible. i tried to edit this post ( vise vs vice ) and all i got was a blank screen that somehow ended up deleting my original post.

I told him he could have it if he would help me shingle my roof for a weekend, he did not bite.. He is a millennial after all so hard manual labor does not fit his lifestyle, lol.. I think half price would be a good deal, plus if I ever needed it during the rest of my career he would let me. He is in the middle of building a house with his girl so I sort of feel the squeeze he is in.

Back