What's new
What's new

HF Blasting Cabinet, Metering Valve installed, having issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampede

Aluminum
Well I'm working on my new HF Blasting Cabinet. I made my own metering valve, it works ok, but it still surges, and clogs a little. I feel I need to increase the air flow to decrease vacuum maybe not sure, the supply hose is very full. I will post pictures soon.

Thank you.

Yep ,dry ...and water blown along in the air stream will cause blocks too...........Think yourself lucky you arent using steel grit .....some places all the steel grit has to be shovelled out every night and stored in airtight containers ,or it will be a solid mass of rust next morning....And a shovel full of grit is like 100lb.

He must be using a pressure pot. I've never heard of a metering valve on a siphon feed. It's hard enough getting enough grit to begin with, Hardly need to meter it. The only metering you need on a siphon feed is using the right size nozzle matched to the ability of your air compressor.

Those cheapy pressure pots work okay. A quality steel ball valve is about ll you need to meter the grit. Even till the valve will start leaking soon enough, so you have to turn of the grit valve immediately after stopping to load more parts or take a piss. If you don't your hose will fill up with grit and you're screwed. Then you have to remove the nozzle and blow the hose clean of grit.

Unless you're blasting off only a fine layer of corrosion, you must screen the grit every time before putting it back in. The adjustment on the grit valve can be all over the park. It all depends on how big of a hurry you're in or how often you feel like stopping to reload the tank. The sound you want is a mild hissy sound. Too hissy and you're not feeding enough grit. The sound will go kind of quiet if you're feeding too much. Somewhere in the middle is what you want. Dry air is a must. 5HP minimum even on those cheapy pressure pots. Honestly... 5HP minimum for any half serious blasting. And I mean half serious.Wearing out a 10 horse is not that hard either.

The OP mentioned surging. I've had that happen some time ago. Can't for the life of me remember what caused it. A leak somewhere? Wet media? Not enough pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back