What's new
What's new

Hi Power Hydraulic Pump

Blazemaster

Hot Rolled
I have been looking into building a hydraulic press and slowly gathering material, have some good steel for a frame. I browse the free section on craigslist often and today this pump popped up. At least I think it's a pump. The guy I got it from said it came off a large press in a machine shop so was hoping I could reuse it for my press. Has anyone seen or used one similar to this?

The motor tag has been removed from the motor, but 3 phase wiring tag still remains. Looks to be about a 7.5hp motor. I can't seem to find anything on the company. The barrel is almost full to the top with clean oil. The gauge goes to 4500 psi, but is broken.

Is there anyway to figure out what kind of pressure this puts out? The lines are pretty hefty and everything looks to be in pretty decent shape. I guess I could look for a cylinder and hook it all up. I am pretty new to hydraulics. Also, not sure why the hell the pics came out sideways.

Attachments

• 20190924_123727.jpg
    20190924_123727.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 239
  • 20190924_123806.jpg
    20190924_123806.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 192
  • 20190924_123814.jpg
    20190924_123814.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 20190924_123825.jpg
    20190924_123825.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 183
  • 20190924_123903.jpg
    20190924_123903.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 205
It sure looks home made to me. I can't believe a company would manufacture something in a tinny little barrel and mount a big fat motor on the drum head and poke controls and plumbing through the top. Looks like a machine shop fabri-cobble.

Stuart

After taking a better look at it you may be right. I guess i'll pop it open and see whats inside. There is no control valve on this so it must have been on the press itself.

Also, not sure what the handwheel is for, but I guess I will find out.

I bet the handwheel is connected to a relief valve.

Looks like a portable setup used to bench test whatever they were working on that day.

Depending on the pump,I would punt on a 2500 psi max system........I built a hydraulic press for this kind of pressure,using offcuts of hydraulic cylinder....to get the tonnage I needed ,I went with a 7"id cylinder.......once you get much over 3000psi,you are up for expensive special hose and fittings......also a gear pump isnt any good over 3000psi,you need an axial piston pump for that.....I got a Linde axial piston pump sitting on the scrapheap ,never used due to company failure,setup cost over $10,000....you get a lot of power in a small space with axial piston,the Linde is 100hp rated,very heavy.

Back when I started in the sheet metal shop I worked at (1980), they had a lot of machines that got their hydraulic power from setups just like that, and the brand name was "Hi Power".

All the control valves and such were built on the machines themselves... all external. These things were just a hydraulic power supply source.
I'd forgot all about these things. The company used to get brochures in the mail from HiPower all the time. Lots of the little units were no more than a 5 gallon bucket size. From the brochures HiPower sent out, I was always under the impression that they didn't have much of a product line, and that they made stuff from surplus equipment they got good deals on somewhere. Their reservoir buckets/barrels were always painted an olive drab color...

You can spend allot of time trying to find the "designed" pressure capacity....but in the end, with the age and
"re-engineering" of what you've posted, I would simply test it.

Could be worn out by now, and won't make the pressure you need/want.

Ok popped it open today and this is what I found. Looks a little less shop made on this side. Filter looks clean(other than a little sludge) and I have a little better idea of what I'm dealing with now. Look familiar to anyone?

Still cant get pics to show up normal, even tried uploading them turned the other way hoping it would go right side up.

Attachments

• 20190925_171619.jpg
    20190925_171619.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190925_171637.jpg
    20190925_171637.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190925_171648.jpg
    20190925_171648.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190925_171702.jpg
    20190925_171702.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190925_171723.jpg
    20190925_171723.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 134
Its a bent axis type axial piston pump.....the lever is likely an output volume controll,and can also reverse the flow in some setups............you will need to find a makers plate and get the specs for the pump......generally capable of producing pressure of the order of 6000 psi......these pumps generally need some backpressure in the circuit,so that you dont get a lot of internal noise..(and damage)

Ok popped it open today and this is what I found. Looks a little less shop made on this side. Filter looks clean(other than a little sludge) and I have a little better idea of what I'm dealing with now. Look familiar to anyone?

Still cant get pics to show up normal, even tried uploading them turned the other way hoping it would go right side up.

Clean don't mean "able to build & hold pressure", so the testing
is important, separate's the wheat from the chaff.

I will do some testing as soon as I get a chance, I just wanted to open it up and see if anyone saw anything familiar is all. The pump has a date written on it and of course the year has been scratched off. There is nothing else on the pump other than "in" on one port and "out on another, other than an arrow showing which way to spin the pump. The tag on the drum showing the model number and specs have also been smudged out, the only thing I can make out is the brand, and that it is 220/440 3 phase.

I am guessing an axial piston pump is better than a gear pump? I will take another look today and see if I can find anything on the pump.

Well I was wrong (maybe) about the unit being home made so this may be fake news as well, but the color of the pump and all the fancy safety wiring almost make it appear to be military surplus. Maybe "Hi-Power" got a line on a pallet of military hydraulic pumps and decided to build power units.

My question would be why the machine shop took it out and replaced it with something else, if that's what happened.

I'll say it again though, there is just too much funky stuff on the thing to make me think it was a production item..the wiring in the enclosure is nuts and that motor is the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Stuart

I should have told more about the story. The man I got this from bought a bunch of equipment from a machine shop that closed. This was in the lot and for some reason the guy thought this could be used for a phase converter. When He figured out he couldn't use it as a phase converter he put it up for free. From what he said it came from a working shop but you know how that can be. I believe the wiring looks like a mess because the electrical box was added, it just looks much newer than everything else on the unit.

We'll see.

These types of pumps last a lot longer than gear or vane pumps and cost 10x more.....usually they have lots of needle rollers and super tight/loctited fasteners inside them,and can be somewhat difficult to reassemble......like most hydraulic stuff,they dont break(much),and just wear out gradually until the internal leakage becomes too much for the application..........for instance a Bobcat that wont push once the oil gets hot,but works well cold..

Back