What's new
What's new

Hickory Gerstner clone

bhigdog

Stainless
If anyone remembers I posted pix of a couple of Gerstner clones I made from 1/4 sawn oak windfalls. I have some windfall hickory I wanted to do something with so I thought I'd do another Gerstner knock off. I was going to use just the heart wood but as I studied the grain I thought the sap wood was really pretty in it's own way. This is the result. Kind of flamboyant and I'm not even sure I like it. I guess it's one of those like it or hate it deals. Anyway I did enjoy working with the hickory. Hard as Hell but machines really well. Any thoughts?............Bob

hickory 23 PICT0023.jpgPICT0019.jpgPICT0025.jpgPICT0022.jpg

bhigdog: Very nice work. Are you aware that the Hickory wood is in the same family as the Pecan. A friend of mine (and customer) who is in the lumber business told me that Hickory is often sold and used as Pecan. You have a nice heirloom, hope you have a son to pass it on to.

JH

If you finally decide, upon consideration, that you don't like it I'd be willing to errrr dispose of it for you. I live in SE PA, too!

Yes, the grain and the difference between the the sapwood and heartwood is pronounced. To most folks, that's a good thing!

I had a windfall hickory and I just sawed it up into firewood. I really screwed up.

Outstanding You sure picked a tough wood.
Bob

The only problem I had with it was tear outs when I planed it. I started with rough band sawn 4/4 and needed to get it to an even 1/2". I solved the tear out problem by finding a really rough Gr***ly drum sander on Craig's list for $300. I had to rebuild the thing but it worked surprising well and I had no more tear outs.................Bob

That is really nice work.

I don't think you should call a better product a clone.

Thanks for that but Gerstner's design is timeless and I want to give credit where its due. I did make a couple of changes though. I used solid brass for the knobs and front panel pin guide and rather than galvanized tin for the drawer bottoms I used .050" aluminum. I also made the rails and drawer slots 3/8" rather than 1/4".......................Bob

Do you have plans???

Sorry, no I don't. I just wing it with a few hand drawn sketches and often make minor changes enroute. The first box I made I copied a Gerstner 042 but I've since gone astray with size and drawer configuration. This one measures 22 W X 10 Deep X 17 High. The top 12 drawers all are 1 1/4 the bottom drawers are 1 1/4 & 2" The bottom space for the front panel to slide into should be 1" for comfort. Primary wood is 1/2" hickory secondary woods are maple and poplar...............Bob

Very nice, IMO the red baize really sets it off.

P.S. Makes my birch ply and ''mahogany'' copy of a Snap On 11 drawer chest look like an orange crate :D

Holy Hickory Hot Boxes Batman!

Amazingly Beautiful work, Bob! Wow! There's a line in front of me, but add me to the list of persons that would buy and use that in a heartbeat.

Back