What's new
What's new

High Density Storage for shop supplies and tools - Anyone here got this ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean by high density would be generally two types.... (type 1) shelving units that roll on tracks... or (type 2) tall enclosures (over 20 feet in some cases) with internal trays that move on a motorized track system. (think "ferris wheel")

My questions are - Recommendations for source of type 1 ?

Presuming type 2 cost $$$$, ever seen one go at auction for way less than new price ?

mobile-1000-homepage.jpg

Look for medical office sales. Most are going to electronic records and dumping similar storage units. May not have as high weight capacity per shelf.

L7

I don't know about that particular unit, but this kind of arrangement is somewhat common in libraries, or document warehouse. So the shelves could potentially be loaded to the hilt with paper.

For having moved a lot of books over my lifespan, I can tell you that paper is not light, over 100 lbs per cubic foot. So shelves should carry probably over 400 lbs.

Jacques

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

At one time when short on space I thought seriously about putting vee groove rollers and some suitable weldments on the bottom of my pallet racking to accomplish the same thing. If I had thought to imbed some angle iron rail with the opening facing down in the floor in grooves wide enough for wheels when pouring my floor it would probably have worked well, but I'm not sure how rollers would work on concrete without rails, if you could even move them just by pushing or if you'd need roller chain drive with a big handwheel (or plug in one of those ridgid 700 pipe threaders as a power drive) to the wheels, and you can't have rails on the floor because you'd have to drive over them with the forklift anyway. For small stuff you could jockey around a fleet of stronghold cabinets in that arrangement with a pallet jack. I've seen those massive tall units go (relatively) cheap at auction and I'm pretty sure there is one that is coming up for auction in the very near future as I remember seeing an auction brochure come in the mail recently that had a picture of one.

What I mean by high density would be generally two types.... (type 1) shelving units that roll on tracks... or (type 2) tall enclosures (over 20 feet in some cases) with internal trays that move on a motorized track system. (think "ferris wheel")

Presuming type 2 cost $$$$, ever seen one go at auction for way less than new price ?

mobile-1000-homepage.jpg

I've used the "type" one system of moving the gap between large and long and high shelving.

Needs good engineering for the tracks and floor to be really level. Probably more appropriate to condense 4000 SF into 2000 SF kind of thing.

Personally I don't think they make for a quick random access, i.e. if your shelves are set up to accommodate two gaps you still have to move six or seven bunched together shelving systems. It's quite fun, frictionless and almost effortless but it's a little slow (moving at a stately pace) - if you had two employees and Employee A had to access shelf bay 1, 2 and 6 and Employee B had to access 3, 5 and 7 (at the same time) things get a little awkward.

It's not a system that can be "sped" up or randomly accessed by multiple people. ~ That's why they are quite popular in museums and various archives where access is "slow" and infrequent by very very patient individuals .

Funny I've been thinking about these too.

We had the type one systems in a number of the offices, very useful when projects still needed a lot of paper files. There were three of the type two system in the factory, biggest advantage was the stock management software on the built in control console. They weren't neccessarily much more space efficient than well designed shelves and cupboards because a lot of space was wasted when the pallets were farther apart than the contents' height needed.

Im a big fan of lazy susan style racks with individually spinning shelves. can store a ton of shop supplies, spray paint, tooling, etc in a corner.

I've seen a couple type two systems (we were removing for customer). If you're talking about storing anything of weight, the issue was evenly loading the shelfs as the load on the back side of the track counterweights the front side. Also for the self contained units if something falls off when the shelf is on the back side, it can make for a real cluster***k to get it un jammed and cleared. We tried using one for tooling storage and abandoned the idea after about six months.

Im a big fan of lazy susan style racks with individually spinning shelves. can store a ton of shop supplies, spray paint, tooling, etc in a corner.

They used to be common in hardware stores and farm supply/general stores. Looks like they are still available: Rotating Storage Bins at Global Industrial

A couple of carreers back I used to work in a large law firm. We had a several large rooms with this kind of filing system. The branch of the firm I worked in had one and a half floors of an office building. Ours were made by TAB but I think Specialized Storage Systems would have something more in the industrial line:
High-Density Storage | Specialized Storage Solutions

mobile-1000-homepage.jpg

I just installed a new HD storage system just like the pic you posted, 4 units. $34,000.00.

Back