What's new
What's new

High Flute Count Aluminum End Mills

J Gilles

Cast Iron
I'm working on reducing the cycle time for a high volume A380 cast aluminum part we make. Our tool with the most cutting time is current a 1/2" end mill that cuts a variety of features. I'm trying to find better options for standard available tools that could increase feed rates and tool life versus our current tool. I'm also open to custom made tools that can be optimized for our cutting conditions, but some vendor recommendations in that field would be helpful. PCD is also open, but I haven't had any PCD milling tools made yet.

Background:
12 Machines in 3 Automated Cells - Robots, gauging, the whole 9 yards.
DMG NZX2000
Capto C3 Live Block - 12K RPM
Sandvik Exchangable Head Tool Holder - Link
Sandvik 1/2" 4 Flute End Mill - Link
Active time - 25 Seconds Per Part
Current tool life is 10,000 parts
Mix of side cutting external features, internal side cutting a 26MM bore, and two facing passes which require RA 1.6uM finish
Material A380 Cast Aluminum
Chip evacuation is great
Highest axial or radial depth of cut is only about 1.5mm/0.06"

Requirements:
Diameter Range: 12MM - 16MM, Metric or Inch
Minimum Depth of Cut: 14MM
4+ Flutes

It seems like most places stop at 3 flutes for aluminum except for Kennametal with their new 5 flute options. Also any higher flute count tools usually have coatings driven towards steels, titanium, or superalloys. The other thing I really want to consider is flute length. We only need a 14mm length of cut, so the tools can be short. This combined with a short tool holder option can help us on our live tool block life.

Anybody have thoughts or insight into options or paths I should research? If there is any info I missed let me know.

I'd be looking at higher spindle speeds. Either a new machine, or a upgraded spindle in the current one. You'll only gain so much with revised tooling at the same RPM, even if admittedly it's the easier/cheaper/quicker to implement way to go.

If you do decide on a custom five or six flute design cutter, get advice about how much gullet can be allowed while retaining acceptable flute strength, and what can be done to ensure chip formation and curling minimizes risk of packing in the tool before ejection.

The problem with high flute tools in aluminum is that you lose the gullet. Chips pack in, or you overload it and the tool breaks. Since you're only doing about .060" RDOC you might be able to get away with a 5 flute, but if you go to like a 7 flute, you might have to reduce your stepover just for the tool to be able to take a cut.

Any particular reason for a replaceable tip endmill?

Are you going straight to finish with that tool, or rough op before?

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...chine_layout_drawings/VM-3_Layout_2019-10.pdf

if just roughing, these can go pretty fast

Found this on MSC, and it's a Sandvik product. Call your rep and ask for a trial....

Mounting a VM-3 to the turret is the ultimate big brain move.

Lol, that link gave me a chuckle, Mike. I think you might have misjudged your CTRL+V

Any particular reason for a replaceable tip endmill?

Are you going straight to finish with that tool, or rough op before?

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...chine_layout_drawings/VM-3_Layout_2019-10.pdf

if just roughing, these can go pretty fast

Found this on MSC, and it's a Sandvik product. Call your rep and ask for a trial....

Straight to finishing. I was told the replaceable tip combo gave the best rigidity and repeatability for tool changes.

Mounting a VM-3 to the turret is the ultimate big brain move.

Lol, that link gave me a chuckle, Mike. I think you might have misjudged your CTRL+V

Yes. How could I have missed it! Rofl

Requirements:
4+ Flutes
I think something like you have linked would be best as far as stubby-ness goes (but I noticed that tool has an AlTin coating... would that work in your casting?), there's quite a few options out there for higher flute count end mills but I haven't seen any that are stubby.
What rpm are you limited to with this tool?
Is there any way you can optimize the toolpath to make it faster?

Fullerton makes a 6 flute end mill called The Dream,but it's a long reach end mill.
You could chop it off shorter I guess.
3810 Dream Endmills | Fullerton Tool Company

I am amazed at what the Harvey 5 flute mills for aluminum can do when I fuck up and bury them. I haven't tried slotting but short of that I haven't broken one yet in years of use so 5 flutes are not too many for 6061. The problem is they don't go bigger than 1/4". I have been told that mills for titanium have the same tooth form as for aluminum, although I haven't tried any out.

I think something like you have linked would be best as far as stubby-ness goes (but I noticed that tool has an AlTin coating... would that work in your casting?), there's quite a few options out there for higher flute count end mills but I haven't seen any that are stubby.
What rpm are you limited to with this tool?
Is there any way you can optimize the toolpath to make it faster?

Fullerton makes a 6 flute end mill called The Dream,but it's a long reach end mill.
You could chop it off shorter I guess.
3810 Dream Endmills | Fullerton Tool Company

The AlTiN somehow doesn't seem to get any build up in the current setup. The tool life could definitely change for the better with a different coating though.

Hmm, those could definitely do the trick. I'll have to see if they would be willing to do some custom ones.

12K RPM is the current max rpm of our live blocks. I haven't looked into higher RPM units yet, but that seems to be the upper limit for "standard".

I did find that swiftcarb makes their 5 flute in a 1/2" diameter, 5/8" depth of cut version which could work well.

I'm working on reducing the cycle time for a high volume A380 cast aluminum part we make. Our tool with the most cutting time is current a 1/2" end mill that cuts a variety of features. I'm trying to find better options for standard available tools that could increase feed rates and tool life versus our current tool. I'm also open to custom made tools that can be optimized for our cutting conditions, but some vendor recommendations in that field would be helpful. PCD is also open, but I haven't had any PCD milling tools made yet.

Background:
12 Machines in 3 Automated Cells - Robots, gauging, the whole 9 yards.
DMG NZX2000
Capto C3 Live Block - 12K RPM
Sandvik Exchangable Head Tool Holder - Link
Sandvik 1/2" 4 Flute End Mill - Link
Active time - 25 Seconds Per Part
Current tool life is 10,000 parts
Mix of side cutting external features, internal side cutting a 26MM bore, and two facing passes which require RA 1.6uM finish
Material A380 Cast Aluminum
Chip evacuation is great

Requirements:
4+ Flutes

It seems like most places stop at 3 flutes for aluminum except for Kennametal with their new 5 flute options. Also any higher flute count tools usually have coatings driven towards steels, titanium, or superalloys. The other thing I really want to consider is flute length. We only need a 14mm length of cut, so the tools can be short. This combined with a short tool holder option can help us on our live tool block life.

Anybody have thoughts or insight into options or paths I should research? If there is any info I missed let me know.

talk to Doug at Fraisa usa, they have some amazing tools that beat kennametal.

If the tool is an end mill then what the machine is called matters not, it's milling.

Sure, but when using a milling spindle tooling block you're limited in potential horsepower and spindle stiffness, as well as gear strength, etc. Much easier to go to a bigger, faster spindle in a VMC, at least from a "volume" standpoint, if not cost and convenience.

Back