Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default High Precision Micro CNC Mill Recommendations

My company is looking for a "micro-sized" high-precision CNC (with option to do some manual operations) milling machine to do perform critical fixture machining for semiconductor chip carriers, small integrated microwave assemblies and other electronic device fixturing tasks. The materials to be machined would typically be 360 brass, 6061 aluminum and occasionally OFHC copper.

On performing a quick google search for such a machine I am inundated with cheap hobby-oriented garbage that will not meet requirements, nor have the durability for the short-run throughput required.

Space in our facility is limited, so the machine needs to be table-top sized, but would be installed to have the requisite rigidity required.

Does anyone still make such a machine? USA manufactured is preferred, but would consider European import as well (but then I have to deal with the issue of a foreign supplier and it creates extra paperwork for me.)

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Datron is what springs to mind for me.

3. Likes b2major9th, kazlx liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BROTHERFRANK coming in .....3...2....1.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Datron is what springs to mind for me.
    This just made me stumble upon the Datron Neo and now I want one for my bedroom

6. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

8. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's tough to beat these guys.

RXP400 - Roeders GmbH

10. Likes b2major9th, PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never seen a "table top" Willemin, and don't know if they make such a beast . . . but the only bad thing I've ever heard about Willemin machines is the size of their pricetag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haas still make their Office Mill?

I think it's gonna be a stretch to find a decent quality, capable tabletop unit that isn't as expensive as a larger rig.

I figure if you have room for a table to put it on, put a smaller table beside it!

CM-1 | 20-Taper Mill | Compact Mill | Compact CNC | Vertical Mills – Haas CNC Machines

13. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Haas still make their Office Mill?

I think it's gonna be a stretch to find a decent quality, capable tabletop unit that isn't as expensive as a larger rig.

I figure if you have room for a table to put it on, put a smaller table beside it!

CM-1 | 20-Taper Mill | Compact Mill | Compact CNC | Vertical Mills – Haas CNC Machines
    I really can not recommend it, I bought a brand new one over half a year ago and it still does not work well. 6 service calls and only about 50 hours cutting time...

/Staffan

15. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tjugo7 View Post
    I really can not recommend it, I bought a brand new one over half a year ago and it still does not work well. 6 service calls and only about 50 hours cutting time...

/Staffan
    That's really disappointing to hear. What kind of problems are you having?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbob View Post
    That's really disappointing to hear. What kind of problems are you having?
    Many different ones. It has dropped tools twice, crashed the tool changer four times (see attached picture for an example), the tool changes has been extremely bad (like a small crash at every tool change, better after the 6th service call though) various software issues. The most significant issue is that it sometimes misses probe motions, two times this has almost resulted in crashes. Automation seems out of the question with this thing. I have almost lost count but I think it runs the fifth version of software now.

I have payed for a brand new machine but got something that resembles an auction find. A LOT of hours extra work, beaten up tool holder etc. I even had to rent an other machine to deliver parts...

tool-changer-crash.jpg

/Staffan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by b2major9th View Post
    My company is looking for a "micro-sized" high-precision CNC (with option to do some manual operations) milling machine to do perform critical fixture machining for semiconductor chip carriers, small integrated microwave assemblies and other electronic device fixturing tasks. The materials to be machined would typically be 360 brass, 6061 aluminum and occasionally OFHC copper.

Depending on the size of the work-piece my vote is for a Willemin 701S if the parts are really tiny or a 301S2 for bigger parts. They can effortlessly handle the tightest tolerance microwave parts you can design.

I strongly discourage you against searching for something CNC+manual because it will be a huge compromise.

Does anyone still make such a machine? USA manufactured is preferred, but would consider European import as well (but then I have to deal with the issue of a foreign supplier and it creates extra paperwork for me.)

Mike
    Willemin is Swiss but they have a US office in NY and two techs based in Northern California.

19. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not table top size but the Brother S300 is relatively compact (4' x 7'). A good # of companies doing semiconductor and microwave parts using these. Very capable, reliable, accurate and hold size. 16k or 27k rpm spindles, 21 tool magazine. Many plug and play rotary axis options. Micro maintenance cost! Well supported in the USA.

screenshot_20200525-120128_chrome.jpg

screenshot_20191207-170041_chrome.jpg

Contact Yamazen for more info. I will be happy to assist as well.

21. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few decades ago, I saw a Servo Products miniature CNC mill being demonstrated. I think it was about the size of an IBM typewriter. I think they went through a few model changes, but have stopped making them. I found only one of the later versions on eBay, but nothing current.

Larry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    Not table top size but the Brother S300 is relatively compact (4' x 7'). A good # of companies doing semiconductor and microwave parts using these. Very capable, reliable, accurate and hold size. 16k or 27k rpm spindles, 21 tool magazine. Many plug and play rotary axis options. Micro maintenance cost! Well supported in the USA.

screenshot_20200525-120128_chrome.jpg

screenshot_20191207-170041_chrome.jpg

Contact Yamazen for more info. I will be happy to assist as well.
    Wow, the X axis travel is shorter than the Y. Guess that IS rather compact.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tjugo7 View Post
    Many different ones. It has dropped tools twice, crashed the tool changer four times (see attached picture for an example), the tool changes has been extremely bad (like a small crash at every tool change, better after the 6th service call though) various software issues. The most significant issue is that it sometimes misses probe motions, two times this has almost resulted in crashes. Automation seems out of the question with this thing. I have almost lost count but I think it runs the fifth version of software now.

I have payed for a brand new machine but got something that resembles an auction find. A LOT of hours extra work, beaten up tool holder etc. I even had to rent an other machine to deliver parts...

tool-changer-crash.jpg

/Staffan
    Ouch! That sounds pretty brutal! Wonder what the root cause for all the particular issues is.
    I figure if I paid for new, and they delivered a used beater, or a dud, I'd be screaming pretty loud!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Wow, the X axis travel is shorter than the Y. Guess that IS rather compact.....
    The S300 Speedio is built on the same casting as the S500 and S700. It is a S500 (same table) with shorter linear guides and ballscrew in X axis and more compact sheetmetal. Made for more dedicated small work and or floor space savings.

26. Likes b2major9th liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Ouch! That sounds pretty brutal! Wonder what the root cause for all the particular issues is.
    I figure if I paid for new, and they delivered a used beater, or a dud, I'd be screaming pretty loud!
    Trust me, my throat is sore.
    When I contacted Haas Oxnard directly it seemed hopeful, but the next day I get a call from Haas Europe lecturing me about "the great Haas costumer satisfaction" for about 20 min. Kind of strange way of handling a very unsatisfied customer. About a month later a technician appears for the 6th time, changes the spindle and and partly fix the machine. Which by the way has big marks in the table from dropped tools and has crashed itself repeatedly, hardly the brand new machine I paid for.

And on it goes.....

/Staffan

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive never heard of the Willemin 701S till now. Really interesting machine from a quick research. That tool changer changes the actual tool and no holders? Can they use standard tools?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    The S300 Speedio is built on the same casting as the S500 and S700. It is a S500 (same table) with shorter linear guides and ballscrew in X axis and more compact sheetmetal. Made for more dedicated small work and or floor space savings.
    So now you make me curious, what is the price difference between the two?