What's new
What's new

High pressure coolant system build - Questions.

Panza

Stainless
I'm going to build a high pressure coolant system for a lathe as the pump that came with it only delivers 5-7bar.
Anyway: I am going to run a Knoll KTS 25-60 pump with a 5.5KW motor which should give me 70bar or 1000psi.
I am going to have quite a few questions regarding the electrics and control system I am sure.
For now I wonder about pressure regulation/limiting. The current plan is to run a valve like this: SPB-H 15 | Pressure Control Valves | muller co-ax ag(R)
The question is: How do I get the M-codes from the lathe to control that valve ?
An alternative solution is to run a closed loop pressure control with a VFD on the motor. I don't know if that will react fast enough or how complicated it will be though ?
Running a VFD at fixed speeds for given coolant pressures probably won't work because of different flow of different tools.
This will be an ongoing thread until the project is done.

I think this should go without saying but I'm going to say it anyway:

Sounds like you have an existing system and you want to pump up the pressure 10x higher than it was originally. Think long and hard before re-using ANY parts of the original system in the new one.

For pressure control, VFD would probably work OK with a properly specified accumulator, but it's no replacement for a physical safety release valve. You'd be able to maintain various different pressures though, which might be beneficial.

That's all I got for now, best of luck to you!

You might try starting your project with a little more then "a lathe." Especially when you're also asking about extracting M codes and things like that.

What brand, year and model of control?
What brand, year and model of lathe?

Sometimes more is better. At least a little more.

Regardless... for Fanuc controls and likely others, spare M codes, if you have them, appear as X addresses in your manuals. (X1014.3 as an example) Physically they will appear, if you're lucky, as a terminal on a DIN rail that you can tap into. If not there you will find them in your electrical manual on the pages that describe the pinouts of your I/O board. The X address outputs, if not pre-wired, will appear as either an empty terminal on the I/O board, or as an empty socket on an existing plug that is connected and feeding other things. Meaning you may have to buy the proper terminal pin to add to the existing plug or get a plug and pin to suit what's on the board. Don't forget M calls will generally need a FIN (finish) signal of some sort. (Y address) I can't say if all this information is still relevant to new-ish i controls, as I haven't been inside new-ish machine cabinets.

Undoubtedly you will have M8 already available to you, and it would be easy enough to use that existing call to trigger any number of other things.

You tube and google will be your friends on this project. Probably even more so then here. Especially when trying to understand control and pressurization of liquids, etc.-etc. -etc.

BoxcarPete:
I am building a new stand-alone system with separate power. I am not going to reuse anything, except the hoses in the machine (good for 70 bar). The original pump will be used for pumping from the OE coolant tank to the new (bigger) tank via a filter.

13engines:
Sorry about not providing enough info: 2018 DMG Mori NLX 2000 SY. Celos with Mapps.
M-codes: M8/M9 as you said , M621/M622 High pressure coolant on/off. There is also M2040-M2047 for different coolant pressures, but that is an option so I don't know if those will work. I will have to look in the wiring diagram and see if I can find them there. Thank you!

The better question is do you NEED 1000 psi on this machine?
That's quite a bit for a lathe, unless you drill a lot of small holes that use TSC.

If some is good, more is better, right?

I mean, I have 1K available on each machine... But I also run drills down in the .070" and smaller range, up to about 5" deep, so yeah, it's useful.

Here is how I plan on doing this. It is off course a rough sketch. The only electrical part missing is the pressure control valve and it's wiring (I think). Feel free to criticize and suggest improvement. I'll make a new drawing with all the wires later. I suppose I will make complete drawing of the sump, tank, hoses, filter and so on too.

HP-Tank.jpg

Back