What's new
What's new

Hilger&Watts Autocollimator question

daryl bane

Titanium
I posted this in the Metrology section but figured maybe alittle more exposure here. I have a Microptic Autocollimator TA-3 with the photoelectric cell and amplifier box. I am missing the power cord to this box. I have no manual, and don't know if the power cord goes direct to 110AC or to yet again another tran.former. The socket in question is the P104 in the pic. If anybody has a working TA-3, TA-4, TA-5 with this feature, it should be the same. All help appreciated, and will pay for a manual or scan if ya got one.
MyPlace029.jpg

MyPlace027.jpg

P 104 may have been used for something else here, but I have seen identical looking sockets as mains sockets on other equipment.

if it were me, I'd open the case and see where the wires go. That should help settle it.

The proximity to F101 leads one to think it is mains. Only way to be sure is to open it up and have a look see.
Cheers,

--Michael

P104 is mains:
50699-6.jpg

P 104 may have been used for something else here, but I have seen identical looking sockets as mains sockets on other equipment.

if it were me, I'd open the case and see where the wires go. That should help settle it.
P104 connects directly to the mains or a constant voltage transformer, if there is large mains fluctuations.

I see that I have failed to post a follow up. I was able to source the correct plug, and yes it is the mains, 110Vac. And it all works perfectly. Many thanks.

Hilger&Watts Microptic Auto-Collimator Photo-cell / display unit models - info needed

Hi,
over the past few days Daryl and I shared some information/messages about the TA-3 H&W Auto-collimator and his display unit. Some of the outcomes are 'cleaned up' versions of the TA-1 manual/general manual for the H%W AC and the TA-3 manual. Both are sold on the web, but at least the TA-3 can also be found as listed in previous post on a Russian page. Tried to attache both manuals (PDF) to this post for everyone's benefit, but they seems to be to large. Pls, if you are interested share your email and you'll receive a copy.
Regarding the TA-3 vibrating slid/photo-cell function are still a lot of questions. One of both has a cable (5 wires including shielded) fixed connected with a rubber sleeve to the eyepiece/microscope unit, the other AC has a 3-pin connector (only two pins used) and the same coaxial port for a shielded cable, same as the one for he main light bulb as well. It would make a lot of sense the photo-cell being connected via the coaxial connection to keep the photo-cell response signal clean into the display unit. The 3-pin would then drive the vibrating sled. Measuring the coaxial port it has 1 ohm and does not change when driving light into the AC from both sides - question is, if the photo-cell broken or the assumption wrong. The two pins on the other connector measure about 60 ohm, which could be eventually the vibrating sled. Daryl did a great work measuring the 5-pin connector on the display unit with the middle pin at around 6V DC (which would fit to the power light on the display unit, but not much to something on the AC). Trying to sketch a schematic of the display unit based on photos is a time consuming project. The big question would be, if there is someone out there with the missing knowledge about the different types of TA-3's and the 'what goes in or comes out where' on the AC/display unit. Based on the Ac manuals it seems like there could be another manual for the display unit or how the photo-cell units work in details. Every information would be very much appreciated:willy_nilly: Thanks a lot in advance and please let me know if you would like to receive the manuals.
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter,
There is a circuit for the FA-70 power supply and amplifier in K.J.Hume's book 'Metrology with Autocollimators', pub. Hilger & Watts 1965.
You will see that the vibrator is driven by 6.3 Vac 50/60 Hz. The photodetector appears to be fed with d.c. from the lower end of the voltage divider labelled with marker 91.

Note: Also posted on "Thread: Need H&W TA-3 Autocolimator Manual". I have now obtained a copy of the manual.

Regards,Rod.
FA-70-3 Circuit_Diagram.jpg

I have been helping Peter (as much as I can) to solve some of the values inside the (rare) Amplifier box. I understand Peter has found a amplifier box and is on the way to solving his dilemma . But many thanks for posting this schematic. I am sure it will help him and others. It is amazing when the word gets out, that such esoteric information can surface.

I posted this in the Metrology section but figured maybe alittle more exposure here. I have a Microptic Autocollimator TA-3 with the photoelectric cell and amplifier box. I am missing the power cord to this box. I have no manual, and don't know if the power cord goes direct to 110AC or to yet again another tran.former. The socket in question is the P104 in the pic. If anybody has a working TA-3, TA-4, TA-5 with this feature, it should be the same. All help appreciated, and will pay for a manual or scan if ya got one.
MyPlace029.jpg

MyPlace027.jpg

Pictures are too blurry to be useful.

Unfortunately that is a Photobucket thing. I guess if I paid them some money the image would sharpen up. I haven't decided to do that yet.

Unfortunately that is a Photobucket thing. I guess if I paid them some money the image would sharpen up. I haven't decided to do that yet.

Small as the community of interest is, and as infrequently as it comes up, hosting thumbnails right on PM then periodically sharing by direct email might be the wiser spend?

2CW and three of the no/low electronics (lamp only..) Davidsons instead... that have been sitting unused for too many years already, meself.

I have been helping Peter (as much as I can) to solve some of the values inside the (rare) Amplifier box. I understand Peter has found a amplifier box and is on the way to solving his dilemma . But many thanks for posting this schematic. I am sure it will help him and others. It is amazing when the word gets out, that such esoteric information can surface.

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Based an the original schematics of the 'amplifier box' posted a while ago, I drew up a new schematics in Autocad, comparing my unit against the original in order to verify wire colors, component ID's and specs e.g. In a few days it should be completed, including a table of all components and available data, two photos (unit top bottom view) with component location and the new drawing. Hope this way to finally be able to contribute something to the forum and help as good as possible to understand the unit or aid troubleshooting/repair. Though to place it as a single PDF together with the cleaned up manual. One thing I couldn't find out so far is the model of the very small incandescent light bulb for the mains power on. Seems to be a E5 socket and has a identification 65-15,but I had no luck to find a place to buy it. Maybe someone has information about it.

Cheers,
Peter

Hilger&Watts Autocollimator question - TA70 schematics/parts list/eg

Hi,
as promised in the last post, following two download links for the H&W Photoelectric Autocollimator manuals including the new schematic drawing, parts list and bottom/top view pictures with component ID. Hope this information helps in something. Since it looks like the autocollimator and TA70 dispaly unit came in various versions, the drawing eventually does not fit all of them, but is a copy of the original drawing with some extras. Please let me know if there are any typos, errors, corrections or additions needed.

The requested web page does not exist - DriveHQ Web Hosting Service Instruction Manual Photo-Electric Microptic Auto-Collimator TA-3.pdfPublish

The requested web page does not exist - DriveHQ Web Hosting Service Microptic Auto-collimtor_Instructions for Use_1960.pdfPublish

Cheers,
Peter

Hi,
Yes, Daryl told me about it the same day. I generated the links again and tried them on several other PC's and they are working now. Apologize for the trouble.

The requested web page does not exist - DriveHQ Web Hosting Service Instruction Manual Photo-Electric Microptic Auto-Collimator TA-3.pdfPublish

The requested web page does not exist - DriveHQ Web Hosting Service Microptic Auto-collimtor_Instructions for Use_1960.pdfPublish

If for any reason the links still do not work for you, I have no problem to supply my email to everyone who would like the information. Hope this helps!

Cheer,
Peter

Hi all!

This is awesome!! I was also trying to figure this stuff out.
Thank you Peter for putting in the efford of making the new circuit diagram and adding all the component values!!
I have a Hilger & Watts TA53 AC which is also missing its readout box.
I have scanned and uploaded my manual on the vintage machinery website.
In my manual its stated that the very small incandescent light bulb for the mains power on is a L.E.S. E5 5mm tubular bulb 6.3V, hope this helps.

Thanks again, and all the best!!

Dennis

Back