What's new
What's new

Hinge weight capacity for TV mount

kevin71

Plastic
Capacity Question: From hinge packaging - Door Width 18" - 30 lbs., 24" - 24 lbs., 30" - 18 lbs.
I'm using this pair of double hinges to mount a TV which is 36" wide. Both hinges will be in the center horizontal & within a 7" space vertically. From the above weights what would be the maximum weight for the TV? I assume that the weight will be much different from the package info for a door. All other parts used for this TV mount are rated at 100 lbs. which is over rated. Over rated is good. Thank You for Help here!
PS: I'm thinking the size of the TV and the fact that the hinges are centered Vertical and Horizontal will raise this weight. I would like to see better than 9 lbs. per hinge or 18 lbs. total, that sounds ridiculous for a hinge!

You have not given the critical dimension, which is the distance of the TV's center of mass to the wall on which you will mount the hinges. Compare that distance to 1/2 the door width on the hinge packaging. I.e., if the TV's COM will be 9" from the wall, use the 30lb load rating.

And I have to ask: Given that they are dirt cheap, why aren't you using a store-bought tilting/swiveling TV mount?

1. Firstly store-bought tilting/swiveling TV mounts are garbage. I bought one and it will not even hold 20% of the rated weight.
2. The hinges will be mounted directly to the TV back. This will be at the end of full extension drawer slides that themselves are rated at 100 lbs..
3. So with this critical dimension being very small does that mean the rating would be better than the 30 lbs.?

Yes, as sfriedberg points out it's the leverage the mass is exerting that influences the hinge capacity. In your case, you could support ~50lbs or so without risk.

Make sure the pivot points of both hinges are aligned as close as possible to minimize binding. Also, if you swivel the TV a lot you will likely be putting a torsional load into the extending slides, and they're not designed for that (usually). A safety chain or other fall protection might be a good idea.

Thank You Milland & sfriedberg. I understand hinges a bit more now. I will carefully consider your comments as I finallize my design.

There are good, bad, and indifferent commercial mounts. I bought one a few years ago for a 50" screen that weighs a good 30 or 40 pounds- the tv- and my swivel pivot mount could easily handle twice that weight. I just paid a bit more for it. There are tvs out there with 82 " screens that weigh 80 to 100 pounds, and they make swivels for them.
This is a case where I would not try to re-invent the wheel.

I built my own T.V. mount as well. I didn't like the look of wall mounts that were available. I lag bolted a short section of aluminum unistrut onto the ceiling. Then welded a tapered roller bearing setup onto a small truck that rides in the strut.

Seems to work pretty slick. Also when the kids were little I put a couple of eye hooks on the stut and had a swing for them in the house. LoL it was more popular than the T.V.

Nic

Capacity Question: From hinge packaging - Door Width 18" - 30 lbs., 24" - 24 lbs., 30" - 18 lbs.
I'm using this pair of double hinges to mount a TV which is 36" wide. Both hinges will be in the center horizontal & within a 7" space vertically. From the above weights what would be the maximum weight for the TV? I assume that the weight will be much different from the package info for a door. All other parts used for this TV mount are rated at 100 lbs. which is over rated. Over rated is good. Thank You for Help here!
PS: I'm thinking the size of the TV and the fact that the hinges are centered Vertical and Horizontal will raise this weight. I would like to see better than 9 lbs. per hinge or 18 lbs. total, that sounds ridiculous for a hinge, denver tv mounting
Although It's an old thread but I want to add my experience that in this scenario that you've explained above, one should hire any tv mounting service to avoid any trouble in near future. While installing a television mount is a straightforward job, making a mistake could lead to costly damage to your TV or wall. The best way to ensure the job is done right and your television is secure is to hire an experienced pro.

P.S: It's purely my observation.

Although It's an old thread but I want to add my experience that in this scenario that you've explained above, one should hire any tv mounting service to avoid any trouble in near future. While installing a television mount is a straightforward job, making a mistake could lead to costly damage to your TV or wall. The best way to ensure the job is done right and your television is secure is to hire an experienced pro.

P.S: It's purely my observation.

Oh you definitely won't want to see the mount that has been holding my 75" TV to the wall for the last 3 years then. It tilts; it rotates; it swivels; it even extends and retracts! And I did it all by myself, heaven forbid. :D

Well, excepting the lifting part...

20220929_173647.jpg

When you say you did it yourself, I assume you mean you installed it yourself and not made it yourself...

Hire a professional to install a TV? The only people who do that are the utterly useless, crippled, or over the age of 90.

When you say you did it yourself, I assume you mean you installed it yourself and not made it yourself...

Hire a professional to install a TV? The only people who do that are the utterly useless, crippled, or over the age of 90.

Yes, of course. Although this one could readily be duplicated if I needed another, say. They aren't very complex. That one has been in service for quite a lot of years now, must have purchased it in '05 or so. It's outlasted 2 televisions.

Sharing a word of caution: When I made my own tv stand I used the existing four hole screw pattern on the back of the tv. The knurled nuts inside the tv were pushed into thin sheet metal from the wrong side in terms of load carrying. In other words the nut flange was on the outside and can't resist pullout. Your tv may or may not be the same. Simply suggest you take a look at yours.

Sharing a word of caution: When I made my own tv stand I used the existing four hole screw pattern on the back of the tv. The knurled nuts inside the tv were pushed into thin sheet metal from the wrong side in terms of load carrying. In other words the nut flange was on the outside and can't resist pullout. Your tv may or may not be the same. Simply suggest you take a look at yours.

What brand was your TV? I would expect any failure there would lead to a pretty large and easily won lawsuit.

Back