What's new
What's new

Hobbiests and southbend 9/10" posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastikdreams

Diamond
I'd like to suggest it may be time to draw the line on these southbend posts. These are hobbiests with junk machines asking beginner questions on how to use these decrepit and sometimes dangerous antiques to do actual work.

The latest one on the site has a clothing belt and a wooden pully, and the guy is thrilled about this.

I'm all for everyone to use this great site but it seems like everyday there's another thread popping up. Might as well let jet and grizzly threads fly too.

Just something I've been thinking of the past few weeks. :D

I am neither a hobbyist or a machinist but i work with metal for a living, probably like many on this forum. My 100 year old lathe works great with a wooden counter-shaft pulley and my drilling machine is driven by a leather belt from a thrift shop.

Many different people and the resultant diversity of opinions and methods is what makes this forum interesting.

I actually started to give a snarky answer to your post, something like "if you are not a mod just stfu", but then I decided that would be doing exactly what you were doing so I rephrased it to be a bit more polite:)

Lol it was done well. Look I'm not one to judge really. And I understand doing things to get things going. Quite frankly I probably couldn't make a wooden gear without cam and CNC intervention. The thing is though it's all well and good on an amateurish level but as to the spirit of this forum it doesn't belong.

There are southbend lathes that are real workhorses, the 9 and 10 have their place in history. A hard earned, well deserved place. But do they have a place on a manufacturing forum? I started this thread to start a conversation, k don't make decisions here.

There recently was a thread on hobbiests and a new section for them. I'm all for it, just think, we might grow a machinist or 2.

Hobby stuff shouldn't be allowed imo. They have their own forums.

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

Then how does a hobbyist get advice from someone who actually knows what they're talking about? I don't want advice from people as ignorant as I am.

That’s actually very funny, and brings up the other point, I think as much time and hot air has been wasted arguing over who is “worthy” of being on here, who is “pro” enough, what a professional is, and on down that rabbit hole, as would have abeen spent answering
10 first time greenass amateur dumb questions!!

We all started somewhere, just be reasonable, straight to the point, not abusive, or we all also have the option to just move on! :cheers:

(Oh, and by the way, leather belts on wooden sheaves BUILT our modern world!)

I think pro grade has some to do with what your wheel house is. I can roll around at some of the welding and brazing questions here, but I am in aww at some of the other areas.
If you are running an aeroplane motor making shop the southbend is not a tool, if you are in fence manufacturing they are in maintance and rare hinge post corner of the shop as a valued tool. I went to a small shop a few years back running rows of sherline mills making one part for cd players; it sometimes goes both ways on machines.
We have jet drill presses scattered like soapstone around the shop here, sometimes you just need a hole. We also have a 3 spindle drill line, radial drill, mag drills, beam line (125 ton punches), angle line, hanging punches, plate punch's... and still the jets are used daily.

the jets are not great, neither is a porta band - convenient tho.

As far as belt, the drill line coolant system is literally held together with part of a Starbucks straw. The new parts to fix it right have been sitting on storage rack for 4 years now- because the straw is still holding pressure. Does the cow know it needs Wheaties for holding up pants or spinning parts?

It's alright guys, it's only elitist machinists cabin fever season. :rolleyes5:

PSSST
' .........….Once they've had a couple of wanks while watching their endless loop video of Trump standing next to a 10EE with his Southern Wall as a back drop, they'll be fine

A lot of us pros have a South Bend 9/10 in our basements or garages to do those weekend prone that can't be done at work. I have a 9A at home and a HLV and a Clausing at work. My 88year old retired tool maker Dad has a 9A now, because when he moved there was no room for his Hendey 14x6 line shaft lathe that he had since 1958. Does that make us "Hobbyists"? Think about what you would have at home if you could not take projects to work? Especially if you have to get it into a basement. Those 9/10's come apart and can be put just about anywhere. Lots of high quality work has been turned out in basements, submarines, and truck beds with them by military personnel.

I find all south bend lathes quite useful

bolt a big chain to em and push em overboard, that float aint moving no how.

i mean,a nine inch is probably only good to hold a Whaler, but a 13, boy, you can anchor anything to one of those

Seriously, lighten up

We wuz all young an broke once

Still have my 9C, with the change gears plus metric set. I can make way more thread pitches than most. Before I found out Mauser trigger guard screws were 22 TPI I made them 1.15mm as they seemed to be half way between 1.1 and 1.2mm. The old 9C still has some of the original flaking on the most worn spot of the bed and I still use it regularly. They are not all worn out, dangerous, and decrepit. I think they should have a place on Practical Machinist forum.

That’s actually very funny, and brings up the other point, I think as much time and hot air has been wasted arguing over who is “worthy” of being on here, who is “pro” enough, what a professional is, and on down that rabbit hole, as would have abeen spent answering
10 first time greenass amateur dumb questions!!

We all started somewhere, just be reasonable, straight to the point, not abusive, or we all also have the option to just move on! :cheers:

(Oh, and by the way, leather belts on wooden sheaves BUILT our modern world!)

I do agree with the rules and efforts to maintain this place as a professional forum. I do agree that hobbyists are better off elsewhere.

However, there is definitely a sub-demographic who are green and perhaps can't afford real equipment yet, but who are trying to do this for a living, and are deserving of and would benefit from our collective advice.

Maybe a "Beginners" sub forum would be a fair compromise. There people could ask the basic questions, and those who cared to could answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back