What's new
What's new

holding an octagonal shank

dian

Titanium
i finally got around to regrinding a collection of dull center punches. i had no idea they would give me so much trouble. they all have octagonal shanks, i have four sizes, 3-5 of each. how to hold them on the tool grinder? i need either square deckel collets (6mm, 8mm etc.) or er collets in 13 (for 12.75), 11 (for 10.75) and 8.5 mm. i have neither of those. so just for fun i made a split bushing, 12,75/16mm for the deckel collet and the second problem occured: runout of around 0.5mm. i ground one punch and it was ugly to look at. i ended up shimming the bushing with tape in two places and got a punch down to 0.04mm. the next one of course was different so i got tired of it. id either have to make 4 excentric bushings, buy collets worth more than the punches or get some independent four jaw for grinding (morse or deckel u29). does such a critter exist? and how do they grind the punches when they are made anyway?

so any ideas how to do this seemingly simple job without to much effort?

I allways regrind centre punches by hand up on their end, wheel direction down from point to shaft.

A V notch in the rest on the bench grinder and hold the punch taper in this V notch.

Octagonal can be held in a 3 or 4 jaw...It is very handy to mount a small 3 or 4 jaw chuck to be used in a tool grinder. Having a 12 index ground into the chuck holding flange is also very handy..an adjust true in the chuck holder can make very close work..

Last edited:
A Vee block on a magnetic chuck would be my go to on this on a cylindrical grinder although I would just do centre punches "off hand".

Stick the center punch in a cordless drill and grind it . Bill

I doubt the 3 jaws of the cordless drill would hold an 8-sided shank very well.

If it were my problem I'd find a way to make or broach a tight hex hole in a piece of larger rod, then hold the tools in with set screws and grab onto the round rod.

metalmagpie

Let me get this straight, the OP is talking ordinary ( as in place on mark and hit with a hammer) centre punches?

If you're a perfectionist, yeah, it's got to be perfect, or it's no good :D

Good subject for the brand spankin' new Impractical Machinist forums ;)

Stick the center punch in a cordless drill and grind it . Bill

ok.....i was thinking wtf...go to pedestal grinder or belt sander and hold it at approximate angle and...brrrrr. done.
I dont particularly care about center punches.....but WTF....how have i over looked this equation...
Pedestal grinder + cordless drill + something round in chuck = nice way to rotate part for grinding a point to it.

:eek:

ok.....i was thinking wtf...go to pedestal grinder or belt sander and hold it at approximate angle and...brrrrr. done.
I dont particularly care about center punches.....but WTF....how have i over looked this equation...
Pedestal grinder + cordless drill + something round in chuck = nice way to rotate part for grinding a point to it.

:eek:

First shop I worked in this is how we modified endmills to have a reduced shank. Worked okay for 1/2 endmills, was downright stupid for 1/16 endmills with a 1/8 shank. I still sharpen short TIG tungstens this way, but any eccentricity in the drill chuck shows up readily.

Carbide pencil sharpener. All the other good complex ideas are used up. :Yawn:
I like the drill

Last edited:
well, this was more about workholding than the (hand) punches. can anybody point me to a small, around 80mm 4-yaw (independent)?

Back