Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Holding a plate with a big pocket?

I am trying to figure out the best way to approach holding a plate with a giant pocket. The part is 316, 16" by 8" by 0.650", starting with 0.100" over size plate stock. There are four M8 tapped through holes in the corners. One-off part.

My original plan was to use Talon Grips across two vises. Op 1 does all the features, then I flip it over and face off the Talon Grip carrier thickness. I am worried that the part will warp under vise pressure as the large center pocket gets opened up.

I came up with two other ideas:
    1. I could face the back and do the outside profile first, then flip it over, bury it in the vise jaws, and do all the front-side features, hit the big pocket last.
    2. Or I could face the back, then put in the threaded holes. When I flip it over, use M8 bolts to hold it from underneath on an aluminum carrier plate. I am not sure 4xM8 is enough to hold up against the roughing forces though.

Any wisdom? Am I overthinking it?

access-plate.jpg
    Last edited by trochoidalpath; 04-05-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: fix stupid typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Firstly Minor glitch / typo - how are you going to get 0.650 thick part from 0.100 stock?

As for machining, I'd go for option 2, .........cos if 4 x M8 bolts don't hold that, then you are doing something very wrong

Just my 2 cents, as ever YMMV

3. Likes Gordon Heaton, trochoidalpath liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First thing I'd do is face mill it, then blast that big pocket open leaving stock, unclamp the vises and let it banana.
    Reclamp the vises and finish the faces & holes.
    Flip it, tie it down and finish the part. You'll have to do some clamp hopping though.

5. Likes trochoidalpath liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Firstly Minor glitch / typo - how are you8 going to get 0.650 thick part from 0.100 stock?

As for machining, I'd go for option 2, .........cos if 4 x M8 bolts don't hold that, then you are doing something very wrong

Jusat my 2 cents, as ever YMMV
    LOL, I meant 0.100" oversize.... thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Using talon grips, clamp the crap out of it, release and reclamp lighter. Eliminates bowing, the indents in stock will keep it from moving. Plus what dew said, rough with plenty of stock, release and reclamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My 2 cents, have your local waterjet shop drop the slug out first. That saves you from doing the heavy stock removal and need for heavy fixturing.