What's new
What's new

Hole Offset for Insert Screw

HMT8

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I've been here for years but this is my first post. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge that has been shared here.

I'm making a special cutter for a mill that will use SCMT-32.52 inserts. The inserts have a .173 dia hole for an M4x.7 insert screw.

I'm trying to decide how far to offset the hole toward the corner of the pocket to hold the insert tight. I'm guessing .005"-.007" ish.

Does anybody know a good number to shoot for? (thinking to myself "I bet CarbideBob would know!")

It might be worth CADing the insert, pocket (with thread), and screw and seeing how much you can shift the female thread over before angulation of the screw becomes an issue.

Otherwise, if it's a small insert I'd shoot for your guesstimate, a larger insert a little more.

Agree on using the correct screws. I have some on hand.

Another option has presented itself - I might not have to make this tool.

Thanks for the replies.

Not that its not possible, but the couple times I've had to make a special tool, I started with a bar that already had its pocket, then "butchered it " into something that would work.
I remember one being a piece of art, the other looked like a Fred Flintstone tool, but both worked.

Back