What's new
What's new

Hole punch angles

Conrad Hoffman

Diamond
I often find myself making hole punches for things like gaskets and paper templates. Are there any generally accepted angles for sharpening that both cut well and hold up well?

edit- I'm talking cork borer type punches, not matched plug and hole punches.

Last edited:
When I made some punches to cut rings from felt, I used roughly 40 degrees included angle. It's my impression that C.S. Osbourne arch punches have an included angle more like 25 degrees, when the internal taper is taken into consideration, but I do not have one handy to put a protractor to.

Thanks. Surprised not more replies. I have some import punches that have what appears to be a huge included angle, yet they work fairly well. I usually have no internal taper, just an angle on the OD.

I have a large set of arch punches to an inch or more diameter. Most seem to have soemthing between 30 and 45 degrees included angle per side. it can be hard to measure or estimate the angle on small surfaces.

I made a quick set years ago . Long alan screws,cut of the heads,center drilled unthreaded body.They have served me well. So to answer your question,60 included angle or 30 degrees per side. Good luck Edwin Dirnbeck

Back