What's new
What's new

Homemade Mill Stop

K&T_Journeyman79

Aluminum
For those of you who like to make their own tooling, I built the attached Mill Stop using only my K & T Model 2D Rotary Head Milling Machine. This stop is very handy when making multiple parts. You can buy one on-line or, like me, have fun and test your skills by making a custom-made stop to fit your specific needs.

IMG_5291.jpg
IMG_5297.jpg

C5C0D294-6287-4DF5-8B74-9B37BE6E2446.jpgI came across this website and product by chance. I am a retired toolmaker and just finished making a stop for a friend of mine with some bits I had laying around.
I made it in the style I have always used.
As a project the mill stop of “ journeyman 79 “ looks very attractive but unnecessary complicated.C5C0D294-6287-4DF5-8B74-9B37BE6E2446.jpg

Attachments

• 0D00D865-CFEC-4504-9542-0C772B4D5B0E.jpg
    0D00D865-CFEC-4504-9542-0C772B4D5B0E.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 429
After owning and making just about every kind of stop,the one I liked the best is the type that bolts to the back of the vise.I never use it because its to short. The t-slot mounted ones sometimes just don't line up right.

So a few months ago I made a back mount vise clamp that uses 5/8" TG&P stock about 36" long and left it mounted. So far have not had to slide the bar off out of the way and used the stop hardware from my other stops.
I kept having parts that hung over the end of the table and this solved it plus works for every thing in between.

The other machinist seen it and made one and liked it. He also hasn't had to remove the bar,but it's no big deal if you have to.

View attachment 329737I came across this website and product by chance. I am a retired toolmaker and just finished making a stop for a friend of mine with some bits I had laying around.
I made it in the style I have always used.
As a project the mill stop of “ journeyman 79 “ looks very attractive but unnecessary complicated.View attachment 329737

You dredged up an old post to simply put it down as "too complicated " ???

The pinch design is potentially more rigid than the set screw design.
Set screws are not good at preventing rotation, even with a flat.
Unless they are really large to move the force vector off the
centerline of the radius of the shaft.

-Doozer

I make lots of parts shorter than a vise jaw.
So I made a batch of clamp on vise stops.
You've heard of aluminum soft jaws?
These are aluminum soft stops, intended to be machined through for features close to the edge of the part.

Back