What's new
What's new

honing

lazymachinist

Plastic
im honing bushing with .3596"-.3598" bore diameter and i im maintaining .00008 roundness and .00008 straightness max but everytime i inspect in the rondcom machine, its straightness fail.. any advice or technics? thanks

sunnen machine

Does the machine tell you exactly what the problem is? IOW, what kind of a straightness problem do you have? How much material do you leave for honing? What's the material? What's the oil and stone? Honing has a dozen variables that affect what you get, so a much better description is needed. The style of arbor matters, as does the shoe area.

We use Sunnen automotive hones and would never attempt to hold .00008" straight/round. Does Sunnen even suggest the machine is capable of that? Over what length are you looking to hold .00008"? Any chance that tolerance is actually .0008"?

jack vines

The MBB-1660 in good repair will do it, or I should better say, the user can do it. It's a high skill thing that you can only do with the right gauging and the right tooling and in a production situation where you have some process flow to optimize things. And not on a very heavy part. Now, if it's 0.0008", you can do that all day or as a one-off with little trouble.

My guess is he is honing hydraulic valve bodies. We need to know a lot more about the set-up, but its certainly possible.

His tolerance is .0002" and he claims he is holding .00008" on the hone. Sounds like there is a cylindricity tolerance he can't hold. The rondcon machine would be capable of measuring cylindricity. see below

Cylindricity is measured by constraining a part on its axis, and rotating it around while a height gauge records the variation of the surface in several locations along the length. The height gauge must have total variation less than the tolerance amount. Relation to Other GD&T Symbols:

Back