What's new
What's new

hook scraper

dian

Titanium
im looking for a pull scraper for deburring inside slits, like on a collet. it should have a (carbide?) triangular tip. i checked noga and a few suppliers, nothing. is there such a tool? what would you call it?

edit: hopefully earnest123 is not going to chime in.

im looking for a pull scraper for deburring inside slits, like on a collet. it should have a (carbide?) triangular tip. i checked noga and a few suppliers, nothing. is there such a tool? what would you call it?

edit: hopefully earnest123 is not going to chime in.

I have one for just that purpose but in high speed steel. It is. Small and looks much like a standard deburring tool. Mfgs name is gone. It is yellow with a large C in the cap. Has a small 3/8 triangular point at one end and another about 1/2" at the other end. Shaft extends about 3". Side points are rounded to allow finger pressure on the cutter when using on external groves. I have a large woodworking version also.

i think i need exactly what rickyb has, but where to get it? its surprising that these seem not to be used. how big is the grout scraper? i cant see it on the picture but i have one with three cutting edges about 1" long. i was thinking of something that could go in a 1/2" hole. the noga comes close but has a flat tip.

so yes, i thought idd ask before making one, because usually i make tool three times before it works and very often it will then stop working when i need it most anyway. i might start with forging a screwdriver into shape.

i think i need exactly what rickyb has, but where to get it? its surprising that these seem not to be used. how big is the grout scraper? i cant see it on the picture but i have one with three cutting edges about 1" long. i was thinking of something that could go in a 1/2" hole. the noga comes close but has a flat tip.

so yes, i thought idd ask before making one, because usually i make tool three times before it works and very often it will then stop working when i need it most anyway. i might start with forging a screwdriver into shape.

How many items to do, and how often?

Don't insult an honest screwdriver just to have a HANDLE! Grab a length of "clock steel" and use it with a general purpose file handle or hand-vise handle. Or MAKE a handle.

Broken or just worn-out files, drills, taps, hacksaw, and POWER hacksaw blades, even industrial razor blades get tossed in a drawer here, more than 60 years running.

That small stash of "good steel" or bustid carbide - a bit of messing with one of many grinder wheels, and the challenge is soon dealt with.

Here's another useful trick - from the joolry manufacturing industry - also google "thrumming":

Shopping

Mitchell Abrasives Round Cords and Flat Tapes

ISTR both of these techniques were first seen in "modern times" within a few hundred miles of where you park yerazz, today?

So "home to roost" from the other side of the puddle they now come in your hour of need!

"Pre-historic" times, animal or vegetable fiber charged with natural or crush-enhanced and seived abrasives shaped stone tools, temple doors and artwork, a VERY long time ago!

It was all the f**k they had..

... even when the "cord" was a massive rope pulled by TEAMS of men at each end whist other teams kept hauling water and dumping on the recyled sand or such, still other teams scouted materials and made new rope, whilst worn-out rope went to caulk leaks or start the cooking and forging fires.

The "lost secrets of the pyramids", Stonehenge, and other ancient marvels?

Very little to do with transporting heavy material nor working stone. The craftsmanship never left public view "somewhere" on-planet.

EVERYTHING to do with the conceiving, detail planning, organizing and funding support logistics, then executing to a plan.

Those crucial skills DID "go missing" from time to time.

Architecture. Engineering. Finance. Logistics. Project Management, were the key skills, rather.

"Craftsmanship" begins between the ears.

What's between or under the hands only follows.

:D

I have never needed more than a needle file for that sort of deburring (narrow slots in a bore.) Helps to have a handle as most needle files don't. General Tool makes a nice little set complete with a chucking handle. 12-piece Chromium Alloy Steel Needle File Set | General Tools & Instruments

-DU-

There are .. or WERE .. (at least) two Swiss firms who made far more consistent goods. Grobet and another ... whose name slips my mind at the moment?

Was it Vallorbs, and "house branded", rather than actually made under their own roof?

Dian himself - whom ever, wudda think it? - should be able to answer that, yah?

how big is the grout scraper? i cant see it on the picture but i have one with three cutting edges about 1" long. i was thinking of something that could go in a 1/2" hole.

I have a grout scraper and it is just a medium size "screwdriver" with a threaded hole in the end to screw on a triangle insert. Tool might be 7 or 8" long.
Do you have a sharp insert that will fit in the 1/2" hole?

I have a grout scraper and it is just a medium size "screwdriver" with a threaded hole in the end to screw on a triangle insert. Tool might be 7 or 8" long.
Do you have a sharp insert that will fit in the 1/2" hole?

Sandvik owns a factory - Portugal, ISTR - "BAHCO" as makes a line of general-purpose hand de-burr scrapers that offer a wide range of shapes as standard "inserts" and at affordable costs.

Most strike me as "too big" for Dian's need on THIS tasking, but then again, the BAHCO handles are really nice - there are other uses - and one can always make or modify a blade.

My "Eclipse" out of the UK, (Cromwells stock them) are not as fancy, but they, too, get the job they were bought for done. My ones DO have the longer "reach", but they make many types.

There are .. or WERE .. (at least) two Swiss firms who made far more consistent goods. Grobet and another ... whose name slips my mind at the moment?

Was it Vallorbs, and "house branded", rather than actually made under their own roof?

Dian himself - whom ever, wudda think it? - should be able to answer that, yah?

there was a number of file manufactures in switzerland that produced exelent files. most (all?) of them are long gone except valorbe. grobet seems to be a valorbe brand. furter, a company a few km from me closed about 5 years ago. my blacksmithing friend bought several hundred pounds of their files and is turning them into damascus stuff.

there was a number of file manufactures in switzerland that produced exelent files. most (all?) of them are long gone except valorbe. grobet seems to be a valorbe brand. furter, a company a few km from me closed about 5 years ago. my blacksmithing friend bought several hundred pounds of their files and is turning them into damascus stuff.

Ummh.. if you beg worth-a-damn? Perhaps he could spare you a kilo or so worth?

i have more than enough files, a few boxes of valorbe under the bench. never use them, they are so nice.

It's another use for the often unused oblique corner of C shape inserts - the small 06 screwed to the end of a piece of 1/4 (ish) rod '' will do miles of internal keyway deburring.

Be a devil and knurl or even splash out on a file handle for the rod ;)

you know, actually the ones i end up using are from op-shops and flea markets that i put into sulphuric acid. they work well and if i ruin one it doesnt matter. (i have a nice collection of ruined files also, mainly on stainless.)

you know, actually the ones i end up using are from op-shops and flea markets that i put into sulphuric acid. they work well and if i ruin one it doesnt matter. (i have a nice collection of ruined files also, mainly on stainless.)

Sulfuric. Muriatic. Phosphoric. Acetic.. can't readily "just buy" Nitric, long-since. Have to make yer own!

Rude bugger syndrome.

Comical to a demo guru. Got ignorant flour in the house? Sugar? As foodstuffs?

Took another look and there is a letter P inside of the letter C. Could not find the logo in several searches. I've had it for 20+ years and don't remember where I got it.

Back