What's new
What's new

Horizontal band saw cooling fluid in vertical position?

9V7W3

Plastic
Hey everyone,

Just joined and this is my first post. I’m fairly new to metal fabrication and just recently purchased this 7x12 band saw from HF and have a question about utilizing the cooling fluid pump in its vertical mode.

1 HP 7 In. x 12 In. Hydraulic Feed Metal Cutting Band Saw

I have the saw set up and aligned perfectly and I installed a 10/14 variable blade I purchased from grizzly that’s cutting the smaller thickness metal I’m using at the moment perfectly in its auto feed horizontal mode.

The problem I ran into tonight was when I stood up the saw in vertical mode. I installed the provided guide/support plate on the blade guide that acts as the cutting table and tried to notch a couple pieces. When I have the cooling pump on no matter how I position the nozzle or how slow I set the fluid speed the cooling fluid just goes EVERYWHERE but back into the drain pan. I mean everywhere. All over the motor, the floor, the electrical controls. The problem isn’t even as much the fluid running off the cutting plate as when it drops through and underneath it. I couldn’t figure out any way to direct the fluid back into the machine. I ended up with a nice puddle on the floor after a few cuts.

From what I can tell the manual doesn’t even mention that it has a cooling pump at all never mind suggestions on how to use it in this orientation. For all of you that have experience with these types of portable project saws is it just not recommended to use the cooling pump in this vertical configuration? I can’t imagine that would make sense for the sake of the blade at the least. Is there something I’m missing as a metal rookie here?

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone,

Just joined and this is my first post. I’m fairly new to metal fabrication and just recently purchased this 7x12 band saw from HF and have a question about utilizing the cooling fluid pump in its vertical mode.

1 HP 7 In. x 12 In. Hydraulic Feed Metal Cutting Band Saw

I have the saw set up and aligned perfectly and I installed a 10/14 variable blade I purchased from grizzly that’s cutting the smaller thickness metal I’m using at the moment perfectly in its auto feed horizontal mode.

The problem I ran into tonight was when I stood up the saw in vertical mode. I installed the provided guide/support plate on the blade guide that acts as the cutting table and tried to notch a couple pieces. When I have the cooling pump on no matter how I position the nozzle or how slow I set the fluid speed the cooling fluid just goes EVERYWHERE but back into the drain pan. I mean everywhere. All over the motor, the floor, the electrical controls. The problem isn’t even as much the fluid running off the cutting plate as when it drops through and underneath it. I couldn’t figure out any way to direct the fluid back into the machine. I ended up with a nice puddle on the floor after a few cuts.

From what I can tell the manual doesn’t even mention that it has a cooling pump at all never mind suggestions on how to use it in this orientation. For all of you that have experience with these types of portable project saws is it just not recommended to use the cooling pump in this vertical configuration? I can’t imagine that would make sense for the sake of the blade at the least. Is there something I’m missing as a metal rookie here?

Thanks for the help!

I think you are exceeding the forums rules about HF and Grizzly machines.

Harbour freight and grizzly machines are regarded as crap and if you have problems with them it's your fault for getting them. In my opinion the HF bandsaws are a throw away tool.

I wouldn't use coolant if it's pouring on the floor or put a shield up to direct it's flow to the pan or put a bucket under it.

Most of the time, you don't need coolant unless you've got a very large cross section workpiece or high alloy/hard to cut work. In either case, you aren't likely to be using the saw in vertical mode in these cases.

Thanks Mark, that’s what I assumed since the only thing I’m using it in the vertical position for is just for small notches and things on mild steel.

For those commenting on the quality of Harbor Freight products, I’m well aware, and their prices reflect that. For everyone’s information this saw was an open box floor model that I talked them down to $350.00 on since it had no blade. No way I would have paid $899 for it new. I’ve been unemployed for two months as a lot of people are at the moment so I’ve tackled some metal projects that I previously didn’t have time for and a $350.00 7x12 band saw was within the budget for these projects and is definitely disposable in my eyes. All jokes aside, it’s cutting quite well, that wasn’t the issue.

I asked the coolant question because didn’t want to torch the blade sooner than I have to so I don’t have to put any more money into the thing. It was more of a general practice question than specifically related to the brand of machine I have.

On my vertical bandsaw I have an airhose with a valve and nozzle that I use to direct a stream of air where the blade hits the workpiece. It blows away the chips so I can see a scribed line and it keeps the blade cool and prevents clogging the teeth. Also don't have to wipe up air off the floor to prevent slipping...

On my vertical bandsaw I have an airhose with a valve and nozzle that I use to direct a stream of air where the blade hits the workpiece. It blows away the chips so I can see a scribed line and it keeps the blade cool and prevents clogging the teeth. Also don't have to wipe up air off the floor to prevent slipping...

This is a good idea, air is much less slippery than water soluble oil haha. I can just clamp up my air hose with a blow valve to the area instead. I was considering making and adding some kind of drip tray to the underside of the cutting table attachment that would direct the coolant back into the saw if I did decide to use it. It’s really all the excess that drips off the bottom of the cutting plate as the blade passes through that gets everywhere.

Blades make a difference. I use only Lenox blades and have not run coolant for years now. You get maybe twice the blade life with coolant. But if you are cutting parts to weld the mess that coolant makes is just not worth it.

I keep a spray bottle of coolant mix handy for the times that I do a vertical cutting job on my Horizontal-vertical bandsaw. A squirt now and then is all that is required.

I agree that mention of the unmentionable brands and sellers of those brands is a no-no on this site. Had the OP not mentioned where and when he picked up the machine, his post would have been fine.

Switch to manually applied cutting wax in the vertical position.

I find that stuff, like Castrol stick gets fused with saw cuttings onto the rollers in a hard crust making the blade track weird.
So you periodically have to scrape it off the rollers, etc..

In my opinion, not worth the hassle I just cut dry.

Back