Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Horizontal Bandsaw Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a good horizontal bandsaw (not a toy) to cut blanks for the mill and lathe. I currently work mostly in aluminum but need to be able to cut steel, stainless, etc. I'm a small shop and don't need a full auto porsche...

Any must have features? Good brands? Brands/features to avoid? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just don't mention gjeet or crislley and you're golden

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been using this one for about 10 yrs. with no problems.
    Horizontal Bandsaws Machine Style: Manual 352575 - MSC

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stay away from Hydmech. Garbage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Buy the best used kalamazoo 9 aw that you can find.If you have time just buy the most complete one that you can find that is just dirty and filthy and rework it . They are very simple and parts are plentiful. You wont be sorry. Edwin Dirnbeck

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would buy a good brand american made used saw that you can still get parts for. My observation is that these things are the most neglected machines in most shops. Whatever you get you will likely need some parts for. Saws that I have seen that look good are Johnson, Wellsaw, Kalamazoo.

I bought a Wellsaw model 8 in semi rough condition. Wellsaw still sells all the parts for it and are very helpful on the phone. I like this saw pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought some $3k Dake saw 2 years ago and regret it . Probably going to buy a $9500 Cosen soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

biglord,
    I bought a Wilton 7" new about 10 years ago.
    Pretty nice saw for the money. It was 1K back
    then delivered. Use it almost everyday cutting
    steel, tool steel,aluminum etc. Whatever you
    get keep in mind a good saw with a cheap blade
    will give you fits. The wilton cuts straight
    part after part using premium blades.
    spaeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by biglord4ever View Post
    Looking for recommendations for a good horizontal bandsaw (not a toy) to cut blanks for the mill and lathe. I currently work mostly in aluminum but need to be able to cut steel, stainless, etc. I'm a small shop and don't need a full auto porsche...

Any must have features? Good brands? Brands/features to avoid? Thanks in advance.
    Biglord4ever: What is your budget on this purchase? That is a good place to start.

JH

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James H Clark View Post
    Biglord4ever: What is your budget on this purchase? That is a good place to start.

JH
    Honestly, I don't have one at this point. I don't know enough about the market to set a realistic budget.

But for argument's sake let's say less than 5k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many blanks do you see needing to cut per month? As a small shop an automatic saw can be another person you only have to pay once. What size are your blanks (length of cut)? This gives an idea whether a 1" blade will be sufficient or if you need 1 1/4. Will bundling be useful?

12. Likes digger doug, dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you don't mind used take a look at the Startrite H175 or larger. I purchased a used one about 15 years ago and probably will never need a replacement. It works on the average 5 to 10 hours a month. Sometimes it works 10 hours a week then sets idle for another week or so. The only things I've had to do to it in all the time I've owned it is replace blades and clean it.

Mine is the H series 7"x12" with coolant. I've never used the coolant. All my cutting has been done dry. The most commonly used blade is a 10-14 tooth per inch variable pitch bimetal. I do have a few different pitches for heavy stock.

This saw has both horizontal and vertical capabilities. It requires the optional table for vertical work. I use mine as a dedicated horizontal machine I have another Delta brand machine for vertical work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last place I worked had the same Msc special. Figure , I worked 10 years at the place and it was there before I started... It cut lots of SS , cold roll , cast iron and bronzes over those years. Only complaint was the screen to drain the coolant from the pivot side of the saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have had 2 of those MSC saws for over 20 years.They were only about $1400 back then.I found the original manufacturer a few years ago,don't remember if they were Korean or Chinese.We sold the oldest one but both have been very reliable and suffered much abuse.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of what I work on is in the sub 12" long category, thought not all. Generally 2" or less thick, but I'm looking for a saw that will handle larger work as my shop grows.

Any have any experience with do-all?

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    How many blanks do you see needing to cut per month? As a small shop an automatic saw can be another person you only have to pay once.
    Yep.....X2.
    I had 2 of the older model of these Victor saws. Had 2 running at once for a few years as well.
    Now I still have one. Picked up both at separate auctions, one for $500 the other for $350.
    They are indeed as productive/ valuable as another man in the shop, even for 5-10 pieces. And they don't cut blanks to short, get tired, board, etc.

Auto-1�HSV Variable Speed Auto Horizontal Bandsaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

okay- shoot me. But last year, I bought a made in Taiwan Jet, not a dinky little garage shop model. And, for the money, I love it. I was working on a big job, I had two guys full time, and 24,000 pounds of steel to cut. Which means no time or interest in rebuilding a used saw with unknown problems.
    This saw was damaged in shipping, and about 3 grand off list price, but brand new, plug and play, up and running in 20 minutes from unloading from the truck.
    Had it for a year now, it runs perfectly, all the bolts are made of steel, not zamac, and it cuts straight and true, will take .10 off the end of 2" round bar and give you a .10" blank.
    I dont shop at Harbor Freight, and buy american when I can- but for right around 5 grand, this was the best new saw I found.

Its this one- http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/j-70...bandsaw/414475
    2hp, 3 phase, 1000 pounds, almost all cast iron, machined flat and true. Easy to miter, and I built a 12' feed table with length gage, as I mostly cut stainless with it that comes in 12's. But its set up to easily load 20's as well.
    I bought it from Equipment Sales in Auburn Wa. They are the Jet/Powermatic/Wilton dent and damage dealers, have been for 20 years or so- they get all the damaged and oddball stuff to liquidate, and usually have at least a half dozen different bandsaws in all sizes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0476.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would look into an Amada HA250. Like stated above, go with an automatic. Its great to set a job and walk away and come back to see a pile of blanks. You can get one on the used market for about 5 to 7k. Parts are available and they are work horses. The design hasn't changed for 30 years and there are a bunch of knock-off's. That should tell you something.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by e723 View Post
    I would look into an Amada HA250. Like stated above, go with an automatic. Its great to set a job and walk away and come back to see a pile of blanks. You can get one on the used market for about 5 to 7k. Parts are available and they are work horses. The design hasn't changed for 30 years and there are a bunch of knock-off's. That should tell you something.
    Hmm... That one's intriguing.

Anyone have any good luck with any used equipment dealers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by e723 View Post
    We have several Amadas. Good machines.