What's new
What's new

Horizontal cutter sharpening?

Fluberlove

Plastic
Is there a place to send horizontal mill cutters to be sharpened? I do my own end mills, but the horizontals look too complicated.

I am totally new to this tool griding stuff, but from what I have seen, horizontal cutter sharpening is realyl not much different from an endmill, it's just a shorter tooth. The only things that look tricky are stagger tooth cutters and big slab mills. There is a real good section in here...

http://www.metalwebnews.org/ftp/machinery-repairman.pdf

This is about the most comprehensive free basic cutter grinding text I have found so far just surfing around. For some reason they have seen fit to delete about 80% of the pics, which is extremely annoying but it is still great info. With you being far more familiar with the process already, this will probably translte better than it did with me just reading.

Hello,
I too have some side milling cutters that need need sharpening, but I don't have any way to sharpen them at all. Anybody know of somebody in the Kansas area that would sharpen them?

Thanks
Richard

I have places to send my carbide saw blades, but not mill cutters. I'm sure they are are out there. It's hard to believe everyone just throws them out when they get dull. Maybe they just save them up and sell them on E-bay. To sharpen them correctly is the catch. I can dress them up, but not like new. Replacing a $75 cutter when it could be sharpened is not an option for me. I think the solution is to have a topic that will catch everyones attention. I'm sure if everyone had to read every posting, we would have our solution in no time at all.

I don't know exactly what kind of horiz. cutters you are talking about.I sharpen mine on a small K.O.Lee knockout,with an old Weldon cutter grinding attachment.Many years ago,I used to sharpen helical type slabbing cutters in my lathe by putting them on a turned shaft they could just rotate on,rigging up a stop tooth for them to bear against,and using a little toolpost grinder.They could then be hand stoned to get the burr off and to smooth out the grinding marks.Worked fine.

Hey, I called sharp. Very friendly. Very helpfull. They can sharpen anything. All cnc equipment. They're sending me a price list. THANKS!

SHARP sent me some literature. It describes what they can do and their equipment. Impressive stuff. They said the price depends on the cutter, and there are too many different ones to make up a list. They would give a range of around $20 each for horizontal cutters. I asked about different types and configurations. They said once it's set up it dosen't really matter how big. I'm going to send them some of the really gnarly ones. The nice ones can only cost less.

Hello,
How clean do they have to be? I got a 5 gallon bucket full of them that are pretty grease/oily, with some rust on them in places. The grease/oil isn't a problem to clean, but what about the rust? I could bead blast them or chemically remove the rust, or just leave it.

Thanks
Richard

You guys should check out New England Tool in Cornish, ME. 1-800-543-4544 or www.newenglandtool.com
I know they ship just about everyday and they do a great job on all cutting tools. I have also used their custom made carbide cutting tools and they are great. I like their ball endmills and three flute cutters. Once a guy from there gave me a prototype endmill they were working on for aluminum cutting and they were awesome. Their prices are good. It's at least worth checking it out.

It's not much of a chore to sharpen horiz. cutters on the perimiter. You can set up pretty crude jigs and they will suffice if they are sturdy. SHarpening the sides requires a tilting head, but it's straight forward, with all the angles laid out for you. If you have a lot of dull ones and a surface grinder or cutter grinder it would prob'ly be worthwhile to piece something together...Joe

Back