What's new
What's new

Hot jobs, is it just me or do you get them all the time too?

I'm still at it out here, 4:35 AM. 3 separate parts of an assy. 25 sets of parts, I have done them before so I have the programs and fixtures. It still takes time to set each part up. Cycle time on the last part is 1 minute 55 seconds so I am hopping. Sucks but there are bills to pay. Only 5 left so I will be sleeping soon.

I have worked 24 hour shifts a few times in the past. On one of them the parts sat for a week waiting to be picked up after I finished them. Last time I did that...

When we have a bunch of xometry work, I'll usually offer overtime to 2nd shift up to 5 hours per day. They are our most rushed customer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have worked 24 hour shifts a few times in the past. On one of them the parts sat for a week waiting to be picked up after I finished them. Last time I did that...
While I understand your sentiment and resent, I'd not let that experience sour me from the quick-turn gravy train.

I've been the requisitioner of those parts before, the ones that were ordered as an 'oh shit' experience but never needed, and thats just part of today's JIT world.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

While I understand your sentiment and resent, I'd not let that experience sour me from the quick-turn gravy train.

I've been the requisitioner of those parts before, the ones that were ordered as an 'oh shit' experience but never needed, and thats just part of today's JIT world.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quick turnaround is fine. 24 hour shifts on a maybe ain't happening for me anymore. It can wait or be split into two men working the hours. I can't do that kind of stuff anymore anyway.

Are there any that aren't hot?

I refuse to work or let anyone else work more than 16 hours. Luckily it helps having that second shift with just a couple guys to keep things running. I don't miss 30 hours straight. You start feeling like Apu flying around like a hummingbird.

Yeah... The only issue that I have is that payment is more often than not as prompt as the customer saying "I need it tomorrow".

If my guys are asked to work either night shift or later on I always feel obliged to get food for them and they get a better rate for the hours. When it comes to payment from the client they often don't understand that I am charging an extra fee because I have neglected another job to fit theirs in and have asked staff to either work late or longer hours. "If you wanted it today you should have brought it to me last week"

All hot jobs we do are payment up front and in full including shipping.

I wish, I am just a sucker for punishment in all honesty.
And generally those jobs come from the same clients. {robably because everyone else told them too stick it. I run 30 day accounts with most of mine. 2.5% discount if settled before the "30 days" . But guess what... It it is month end and they collect on the 1st then it is technically 60 days that they have to pay.

I wish, I am just a sucker for punishment in all honesty.
And generally those jobs come from the same clients. {robably because everyone else told them too stick it. I run 30 day accounts with most of mine. 2.5% discount if settled before the "30 days" . But guess what... It it is month end and they collect on the 1st then it is technically 60 days that they have to pay.
We couldn't operate like that. I feel your pain.

Many years ago I got a big job, just about $100,000 and $30,000 was material. They were supposed to pay on pickup and didn't pay for 90 days. Almost out me out of business. I vowed to never let that happen again.

Yeah... The only issue that I have is that payment is more often than not as prompt as the customer saying "I need it tomorrow".

Ain't that the truth. Time is of the essence when they need their parts, but when the invoice comes due suddenly we've got all the time in the world

We couldn't operate like that. I feel your pain.

Many years ago I got a big job, just about $100,000 and $30,000 was material. They were supposed to pay on pickup and didn't pay for 90 days. Almost out me out of business. I vowed to never let that happen again.

Yup. That must have SUCKED! And the issue is that it is a roller coaster effect.

Ain't that the truth. Time is of the essence when they need their parts, but when the invoice comes due suddenly we've got all the time in the world

Had it too many times. Even with customer supplied material " I nned it NOW!" and they wait for the next week when it is the new month to sign the delivery note

All hot jobs we do are payment up front and in full including shipping.

I think for newer customers we do that,but i'm not positive.
For our main customers though, we obviously don't/wouldn't do that, they're our bread and butter.

I think for newer customers we do that,but i'm not positive.
For our main customers though, we obviously don't/wouldn't do that, they're our bread and butter.

I hear you there. We have 3 "bread and butter" customers that do pay on delivery for those paid expedited everyone else pays in advance. Thankfully none of the government work is rushed, but like CAMasochism said, sometimes we let those sit on the WIP shelf too long and they become expedited on our dime!

Back