Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd be afraid to have anybody pull that long a shift in a machine shop, for fear of causing accidents.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being as we are an internal shop for a large company our customers don't pay but they sure can be needy. Our biggest rush job customer is maintenance, they love taking something apart and realize it needs to be replaced but the part they got doesn't fit and needs modification or complete remanufacture. They also like giving us (me) parts that are worn beyond recognition and ask for a new one to be made. We usually get a lunch out of them though, sometimes it's piazzas sometimes it's here's a menu pick what you want.

The production lines can be demanding too. We have some government contracts that are extremely time sensitive. If something goes wrong it has to get done 5 minutes ago. That means drop everything you are doing, even if it's a priority job, and fix it. It could be a fixture needs a new clamp all the way up to and including a damaged mold. Fortunately we haven't had any bad crunch jobs lately.

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back when i worked in a manufacturing shop, we got lots of rush jobs in my department, the paint shop. Every once in a while, they would sell off the stuff that had been sitting in the warehouse. Every one of these sold at a discount, were rush jobs they just had to have now. In my shop, i do rush jobs for my good customers, and everyone else waits, or goes somewhere else. Spent a lot of time building a relationship with them, not going to blow it for a rush job for a once in a while customer. They all come back after they get beat up by the other guys. I also gave up on hiring help, if i cant do it, i dont take the job. Dont get me wrong, i spend lots of nights, and weekends working in the shop. Its a lifestyle, you know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CAMasochism View Post
    If it's not hot now, it will be after it sits on the floor for over a month constantly getting put aside for all of the hot jobs.
    Bingo! I thought it was only me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now and then I have a customer that needs something urgently and of course I do what I can to help.

There are though some customers to whom "here and now" is standard and often due to either bad planning or knowing that it works. If you let yourself be "bullied" chances are you will be.

I'm luckier than most in that there's no real alternative for an urgent delivery.

A customer that doesn't express "thanks" for special service doesn't deserve it. In fact just this morning I received an email from a customer with a "Much appreciated" because I can deliver what he needs in 2 weeks and not 3 as is the case when what is wanted is not in stock.

True story. Years ago at a company I worked for I ordered something and told the purchasing department. The lady (old) wrote URGENT on the requisition. I said it wasn't urgent and she said she always wrote that. I then asked what she did when it was really urgent. Dead serious she replied "I write URGENT, URGENT, URGENT".

6. Likes rcoope, Booze Daily, MetalCarnage liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont do these jobs anymore. I learned a long time ago that its too stressfull and un needed. If the job is that rushed its usually because it has small margins and has been put off for more lucrative work until its last minute and no one wants to do it.

If the customer is in a jam I make them pay for tooling and material up front and C.O.D.

If I have to rush to get your job done it means I have to put off someone elses work. If I turn the work away it just means I am available for other jobs that pay better and arent rushed. I have plenty of that work available so its no stress on my back.

I even tell customers sometimes if they rush me and treat me poorly I will just close up shop and go do something else for a living. Then they never have me as an option. Its my rules or go pound sand. Sometimes you have to put your foot down and make the rules.

Dont let yourself get taken advantage of. Usually its just to make a purchasing agent look good because they made poor planning decisions and got themselves in trouble.

If it is a long term customer its a different story. If it is though you have more leeway to be taken care of because they know they need you in their system to run smoothly. I will go through hoops for them. I make sure they send over some gravy work with blanket due dates as a thank you for the favor. They always do this too as they understand the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I'm still at it out here, 4:35 AM. 3 separate parts of an assy. 25 sets of parts, I have done them before so I have the programs and fixtures. It still takes time to set each part up. Cycle time on the last part is 1 minute 55 seconds so I am hopping. Sucks but there are bills to pay. Only 5 left so I will be sleeping soon.
    Clearly it isn't just you ... but there is a certain irony in working through the night with a name like "moonlight machining"

J/K, and I hope you have gotten some sleep and have a chance to enjoy the day with family and friends!

9. Likes cnctoolcat, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a local shop that specializes in rush work, needing certified materials.

Power plant shut downs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously there are some customers where urgent doesn't mean what it does elsewhere. However, most of our "urgents" were from steel mills who were stopping production for unplanned outages and losing more money than I care to think about every hour they were down. That is pretty urgent, maybe right behind plugging a leaking ship on the ocean...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    Clearly it isn't just you ... but there is a certain irony in working through the night with a name like "moonlight machining"

J/K, and I hope you have gotten some sleep and have a chance to enjoy the day with family and friends!
    When I started I had a full time job, night time was when I worked on Moonlight stuff.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question is.... Are any of you working on a hot job today on Thanksgiving.

I've got 3 guys coming in after Thanksgiving dinner to get 6 hours of double pay time in for some APU bracket assemblies to be picked up tomorrow

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    There is a local shop that specializes in rush work, needing certified materials.

Power plant shut downs.
    I have a couple of customers that supply to oil rigs when they break down. That kind of thing is what I consider a real emergency as stoppage costs a fortune.

The customer usually doesn't care how much a reserve part costs so (of course?) I charge more for doing what has to be done in a rush if it isn't in stock but still IMO give a fair price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    When I started I had a full time job, night time was when I worked on Moonlight stuff.
    That's actually what I have always assumed when I've seen your user name, so it communicates clearly ... except when some smart alec comes along and starts talking about irony and such! Sorry for the gibe, but the wishes that followed were sincere - I hope you're having a relaxed day with good food, family, friends!

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post

I've got 3 guys coming in after Thanksgiving dinner to get 6 hours of double pay time in for some APU bracket assemblies to be picked up tomorrow

I don't think there's any maintenance working in the plant today but usually over Christmas... whenever we are off during that stuff tooling is on call just in case. They have a really bad hammer habit and can really do a number on brass bushings. Even if I'm there 20 minutes I get 4 hours of straight time on top of holiday, and sometimes they will stick an extra half in there lol. If I went in Friday it would be straight plus time and a half. But no one is working and we don't have any hot production jobs so I'll be playing with a bobcat tomorrow.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2x post...sorry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a FAA approved Helipad out back of the shop ?

Or on the roof ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a FAA approved Helipad out back of the shop ?

Or on the roof ?
    No but across the street from the local airport where I keep my plane.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

No but across the street from the local airport where I keep my plane.

What kind ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind ?
    Corvallis 350

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Corvallis 350

Interesting....but what about that wing spar failure I read in wiki ?
    7' unbonded ?

speaking of air-o-planes, Rj indicated owning a Cessna 195, others here
    have similar interests in aviation.