What's new
What's new

How to attach aluminum block to 1/8th " shaft?

pcm81

Cast Iron
Cant think of the name for the part I need to buy... not a shaft collar but something similar. Basically I am looking to attach a 2"x1"x0.5" aluminium block to 1/8th inch steel shaft. This is a low torque, high speed application (magnetic stir plate). I have the freedom to drill the block however i need... at this point its a solid block and I will be attaching 2 magnets with screws to top face of the block (near the ends). Shaft goes through middle of the block and rotates the block with magnets.

Thanks

A traditional press fit will work, unless it needs to be removable. Then a split clamp arrangement will do, although depending on speed balance may be an issue.

For what you're doing, you might want to pare down the magnet fixture to just what is required for mag retention - i.e., bar, not disk (if disk was the plan). Go as thin as you can for less spinning mass, but again, plan on paying attention to balance.

A traditional press fit will work, unless it needs to be removable. Then a split clamp arrangement will do, although depending on speed balance may be an issue.

For what you're doing, you might want to pare down the magnet fixture to just what is required for mag retention - i.e., bar, not disk (if disk was the plan). Go as thin as you can for less spinning mass, but again, plan on paying attention to balance.

Absolutely agree about balance!
The original plate looks like it has a set crew collar that has a neck, which is pressed into the original bracket. I'd like to have this plate removable to be able to adjust balance.

I guess what i am looking for is a collar with a neck, so that neck gets pressed into the aluminum block and collar with set screw clamps onto the shaft. But i have no idea how it would be called to be able to find it on Amazon or ebay.

Funny side note, searching for any combination of "pressed" "Shaft" and "collar" takes you to shopping for shirts with pressed collars...

I’m with Limi on this one, drill and ream the block for .126 or .127 and use some loctite bearing sleeve retaining compound.

Back