What's new
What's new

How can I tell what type, #/series of stainless steel I have - it's 400 series

tuprox

Plastic
I'm looking to buy some sheets of SS that the seller says is 400 series, it's mirrored and a magnet will stick to it. Are there any methods that can be used to tell what # it is? Would an XRF meter/analyzer be able to tell what number it would be. I thought if I could get a small piece I could take it to a scrap yard or metal shop and see if they could test if for a few $$.

The sheets are 4" x 10" and 20g, so they are pretty big and IDK if the seller woudl be willing to cut a piece off for testing.

Any ideas? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Ask him if he has any material certifications or documentation that would provide any kind of traceability to where he originally purchased the materials. If he purchased it from any reputable supplier, they should have some record of it.
If you are still concerned, ask if the seller has a money-back guarantee.
Still not sure? Then move on and buy from a reputable supplier.
It greatly depends on your application too. If it’s for yourself or a quick and dirty project, it may not matter. If your customer is specifying a certain alloy, you may be better off just buying it from someone who can provide legitimate documentation and will guarantee it

4" X 10" is a good size. Decide why it matters what alloy the pieces are. Welding? cold bending? corrosion resistance?
If the pieces are shiny, or otherwise attractive and you have the money, buy all you can afford.

Are you sure it's even 400 series? Cold-worked 300 series can become mildly magnetic.

There are acid test kits available that can be used to test metals, but they can be expensive and tedious to use. If you can get a sample of the sheet and have a cooperative scrap guy who can XRF-it, that's the easiest way to go.

You can also try "spark testing", but that's best done with some experience or known materials for comparison. Here's one reference, but searching for "spark testing of metals" will find many more.

Spark testing - Wikipedia

Back