What's new
What's new

How to change a light bulb.....well....

Plastic
First off, I do know how to change a light bulb, the issue is, it has a stuck glass cover.

I purchased a vintage porcelain light for my shop and the glass cover will not come off. I have tried putting on the thicker rubber sand blasting gloves and tried twisting it (yes, counter clockwise), and it would not budge. I have visions of it shattering in my hands and shards of glass rendering my hands useless for the rest of my life. I've tried spraying WD-40 and soaking it, I've tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet, and my last attempt was to take a rubber oil filter tool, which has never worked on any of my cars, and that hasn't worked as yet. I tried the rubber strap around the base as well as around the middle (see pic).thumbnail_IMG_8944.jpg

I don't want to break it as I'm not sure I can find a replacement. Any other suggestions out there?

Thank you in advance!

The only thought I would have is to somehow drench the base that the thing is screwed into in hot water, maybe even hold the fixture under the faucet while dispensing real hot water. The difference in expansion between the base and the glass cover may be enough to get it to break loose. I know this works on jars in the kitchen, so it may work in this instance.

Stuart

One very old mechanics trick that's saved me a few times and few seem to know of it today. But it just might work? Warm up the assembly hot enough to melt candle wax, roughly 180 degrees F. Use the warmed parts to flow the wax down and in between the joined parts. My guess is that glass cover has threads? If so it's simple corrosion that's preventing it from being removed. The wax and heat helps to lubricate and break up that corrosion. I've used it a few times when no amount of time, Kroil or other penetrating lube would work on seized bolts. Sometimes it requires working the parts back and forth a bit and a second or third wax treatment. Patience is the key.

I would dunk the whole thing in hot water, or let hot water flow over the entire glass so as not to shock it. Tap water gradually increasing the temp.

I have a few similar ones at work. The "threads" in the fixtures are not very well made, and it's easy to get them stuck, going in or out. Make sure it looks square, and push to adjust while turning. Try threading it in, as the last assembler may have crossthreaded it.

I'm thinking they are mason jar threads, and made from cheap Zamac.

Corrosion is probably very bad.

Glass on glass was a real problem in the lab, heat was the answer, usually, quick fit was a nuisance, ice bath hot bath seemed to be fairly efficient
Mark

First off, I do know how to change a light bulb, the issue is, it has a stuck glass cover.

I purchased a vintage porcelain light for my shop and the glass cover will not come off. I have tried putting on the thicker rubber sand blasting gloves and tried twisting it (yes, counter clockwise), and it would not budge. I have visions of it shattering in my hands and shards of glass rendering my hands useless for the rest of my life. I've tried spraying WD-40 and soaking it, I've tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet, and my last attempt was to take a rubber oil filter tool, which has never worked on any of my cars, and that hasn't worked as yet. I tried the rubber strap around the base as well as around the middle (see pic).View attachment 321683

I don't want to break it as I'm not sure I can find a replacement. Any other suggestions out there?

Thank you in advance!

If it is just threads, I would recommend Kroil...that creeping shit puts PB blaster to shame..WD-40 is useless for that type of job IMO

Does this have a rubber gasket as part of it?

If so I would also suggest KROIL or any light oil and dissolve the rubber gasket. It will take a few days of soaking but it will come apart.

Ran into this exact issue last night, and I ended up breaking the bulb then extracting with pliers. :/

Those rubber coated work gloves are nice as well.

Wd40 I call liquid electrical tape. It’s useless for a job like this.

Pb blaster is great when your heating an old wheel bearing to 350° and spraying on when hot.

KROIL is the shiz nit.

Sunday my buddy stripped his lug nut when the chrome cap came off and he used the wrong size socket.

On the side of the road I re used the chrome cap and “redbull can shims” to get a grip on the round nut. Failed 3 times, SOAKED the back of the lug with kroil and waited 5mins.

No heat, came right off

I have a few of those old porcelainized-steel-reflector fixtures. Never seen one with a glass globe over the bulb, so I do not know for sure how the globe cones off.

But on some of them, the actual bulb-socket ("lampholder") is secured in the reflector by a big sheet-metal nut from the top. If yours comes apart that way, removing the guts from the relector may get you closer to seeing exaclly what is stuck.

If you do end up removing the globe in pieces, you should still be able to use the fixture with a new bulb

Do you have a matching fixture which which comes loose? To compare? The glass cover is most likely thicker glass designed to take the heat. Plus what kind of bulb is in there is it incandescent or HID of some kind? That figures in to how much heat there is. You are likely not applying enough pressure. You might reach the point that you are willing to risk breakage. I would turn it upside down and tap the outer rim making a ringing noise 360 degrees over clean paper to see if any dust comes out if so keep it up till the dust stops and then spray it after trying once again.

The look of the globe seems to indicate water getting on it somehow.

I do have a can of Kroil, that I used to loosen two nuts on my vise....after about 4 days of soaking. I hate to use it as it is $$$$, but it does work...I'll keep everyone updated Thank you!!

It is soaking now in 90 degree heat so we shall see!!

You do not need to use dollars worth of Kroil. Pennies worth will do the job.

If two soaks with Kroil do not work, then try the WD-40 ON TOP OF THAT. Worked for me with a stuck chuck.

Back