What's new
What's new

How to clean/polish threaded steel after heat-treatment?

keithfrancis

Plastic
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Forgive me if this is a basic question but I can't seem to find an answer over the internet.

Anyway, we heat-treated a tool steel. this said tool steel is threaded. now how can I polish the thread without it having to look like burnt charcoal? We tried to polish it directly but the sharpness of the thread decreased.

thanks in advance!

It depends on what the part is, the tolerances and it's size. If the thread is on a shaft and needs to be a tight fit you might be better off leaving the blackened finish, any shaft I make will have the faces ground after hardening and any threads will be left blackened. If the tolerance isn't to high you should be OK polishing, if the threads are a fine pitch use a nut that fit's the thread and some very fine lapping paste, you won't be able to get it shiny but you should be able to remove any roughness from the hardening process

I second the vacuum heat treating, but to clean up what you have a stiff wire brush either hand held or on a bench grinder and some elbow grease.

thanks for the suggestion. a vacuum heat treat furnace would surely be costly, maybe in the future. as for the wire brush, will try this on the next batch.

Has anyone tried tapping the parts after heat treatment? On our shaft line we tape everything after heat treatment.

What's wrong with the stainless steel pouches ?

Or to put it another way:
OP, did you use stainless pouches with a bit of paper inside each carefully crimped pouch?

Also, a pic of the treated part or, if you can’t rrlease a part photo, a portion of the part would allow folks here to comment if you are getting expected discoloration or more than normal.

Denis

Making cutting tools years back at CutMore Tool we would figure the material expansion or shrink them order special over or under size taps. Then after heat treat we would re-tap the threads with a standard tap so the customer could gauge to be proper fit.

Some fussy customers would go/no go threads.

Yes this mostly for brazed TCT cutting tools.

Or to put it another way:
OP, did you use stainless pouches with a bit of paper inside each carefully crimped pouch?

Also, a pic of the treated part or, if you can’t rrlease a part photo, a portion of the part would allow folks here to comment if you are getting expected discoloration or more than normal.

Denis

I just found this post and also have the same problem

My parts are A311 and require oil quench so cleaning after HT is a time consuming job!
Thought about bead blasting?
Wire wheel leaves a polished dark surface

Anyone try a Nylon bristle abrasive impregnated wheel to clean down in threads?

Back