What's new
What's new

how could I create a tapered rod?

celticpiping

Plastic
Goal: to create a round tapered rod, from a bar of 1/2" tool steel from LOWES store..
Dimensions when finished would be:
14" total length, with a taper from 1/2" down to 3/16"
I'm told this is too narrow to safely mill, traditionally..

And I'm not exactly geared up for metalwork: more woodworking, but am curious to know
how a weekend warrior type might be able to produce such a thing...?

Is it even possible without a mill/metal lathe?

thanks,
R

Possible, yes. Practical, probably not.

Bench grinder and a few hours. You can use your wood lathe with some abrasives to fair and polish the taper.

Regards.

Mike

ok, thanks much for that.
I do have a bench grinder: the thing spins at a bazillion RPM...is that an issue with that steel type?

Not easy even with a lathe. A good blacksmith could do it with a hammer and anvil, then file it to perfection on the lathe. Or, make it in several sections on the lathe with plug and stub, and join them. Make a sand mold, melt down the Lowe's rod and recast it. I think you'll burn it on the grinder unless you quench frequently.

I think you might get better answers on a different forum. Practical Machinist is a forum for professional machinist, most of whom have access to metal working machines above and beyond a bench grinder.

But to answer your question, assuming you have a sound grinding wheel intended for steel and rated for your grinder RPM you should be fine. Chucking your steel rod in a cordless drill to spin it while grinding should help you keep the rod round.

Goal: to create a round tapered rod, from a bar of 1/2" tool steel from LOWES store..

And I'm not exactly geared up for metalwork: more woodworking, but am curious to know

thanks,
R

What is the function of this pin?
Would something like this work even though it's not an exact match for your given dimensions?
McMaster-Carr

You could saw a tapered piece from flat stock (cutting two sides at an angle to the other sides) and then you'd not have too much material to grind away. 4 long chamfers, and you're almost done :D

thanks,
R

Lowes has never carried "tool steel" in their prostitutional career.

"Metals" have been shaped for ages with hammer, fire, and anvil. What's the big deal?

You wanted it "pretty" or sumthin'? Now you need a friendly rock. Oh.. and a damned good eye. But it WAS done that very way.

Impatient? Just cheat. Use machinery. Why did you think we INVENTED it?

Or just go down a different aisle and buy the already-pointed pins they also sell. Over by the re-bars and adjustable demolition columns, usually.

You want a Marlin spike, just buy it. Cheaper than wasting the whole damned week to hurt yerself getting it wrong:

Wire Rope Marlin Spike – No. 276 | C. S. Osborne & Co.

You are going to splice wire rope?.....You might need a bit of experience for that.....I suppose a small dia rope like airplane controll cable might not be too difficult......The simple way to join wire ropes is with the crimpon fittings,for which you will need a press and dies,

OP has still not posted intended usage.

Guessing it's for wire rope is just that.... a "guess".

Coupled with the usage of "Bazzilion", I would say this indicates we are dealing with a child.

Certainly the age of said OP is less than 2 digits.

A row of flats ground or filed to one side so you might measure to the other original side then half done measure to needed size. With it in facets file to make round. if round is desired..difficult because it will be easy to bend or get heat stresses if grinding. I worked with a journeyman blacksmith who could hand turn drill shanks so good one would think they came from an engine lathe.

marline spike perhaps made of something that would not rust

Given the OP's name and location, I'll guess he wants either a reamer or mandrel for some sort of music pipe. For that level of precision, drill, bench grinder, and eyebal lwill do, as will forge, hammer-and-anvil, and file. File will turn it into a D-bit. Yes, no tool steel at Lowes, but old coil spring from a car, tempered, will cut wood or brass all day.

Come back, Celtic pipes, we growl but don't bite.

ok ok enough already...I can see I'm in the wrong area of the interwebs.
I do thank the folk who have chimed in, most helpfully.
I thought by default, thread replies were sent to me, so apologies for the late reply here.
And my apologies if I seem to be out of my league...because I am, strictly speaking.

"Certainly the age of said OP is less than 2 digits."
nope, I'm a 50 year old Navy Veteran, father of 4, 1 adopted from Haiti, and I play more instruments than you've got pairs of
pink skivvies.
That said, what am I doing with this... "tapered rod?"
I'm attempting to construct a reamer that will allow me to achieve a conical bore, for an Uilleann pipe chanter,
Feel free to google that one.

On that note, I'll bow out, and thanks for the Marlinspike idea..interesting
peace,
AQ2 "Goose"

ps. geez, and I thought the Uilleann piping forum folk were a surly bunch...:crazy:

Back