What's new
What's new

ACRA Mill Head Repair

kmitchl

Plastic
I have an ACRA Model 18VH vertical mill variable speed head disassembled to repair the drive components. I had expected to find some plastic bushings in the drive pulleys as is common in BP's and several other brands. However, as best I can tell there are no bushings. The movable pulleys are machined to run directly on the shaft. The sliding spindle drive pulley seems to be in good shape. The motor sliding drive pulley has about 0.017" clearance over the motor drive sleeve. Also the movable motor drive pulley has a bearing surface only at the top near the belt track. has anyone run into this before? Any creative repairs?

Thanks,

Keith

Any pictures available?

IMG_1125.jpgLower motor pulley and motor shaft sleeve. Keyway on sleeve is trashed but not a big deal.
IMG_1126.jpgTop of motor drive pulley showing bearing surface
IMG_1127.jpgBottom of lower drive pulley showing no bearing surface

Well the good news is I have been able to obtain repair parts from ACRA. The parts are a better design than the original. The bushing in the original lower motor pulley was about an inch long. The new pulley has a bushing that is about 3 inches long. Failing finding the repair parts I was prepared to bore out the original part and make an insert to press in.

Back