What's new
What's new

How to digitize business logo ???

rockfish

Titanium
Does anyone know the procedure/software to digitize a hand drawn business logo ???

I've wanted to come up with my own business logo (in a previous life, I used to be an artist),
but have had little success coming up with any ideas. Yesterday, in a moment of artistic genius, I had a brilliant idea and had the logo done within 10 minutes. The first real artwork I've done since graduating Commercial Art classes back in 1982.

Now I want to be able to insert the logo into a Word program, my website, etc., but have no idea how to get what I have on paper onto the screen. I know this is stuff they teach kids in Commercial Art classes every day now ......... but they didn't have this stuff back in my day.

Just hoping someone here knows what to do.

Frank

You are probably going to have to draw it in design program. You can scan it in but I assume that is not what you are looking for.

It should probably be in a SVG format. That would make is scale very nicely for what ever size you need without getting too grainy.

Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop would do it. HOwever they are very expensive.

I have used Inkscape which is free, takes some time to learn.

It'll depend both on what you have (what kind of art it is) and what you plan to do with it.

Generally speaking, for online use (webpages, etc.) and simple word-processor documents, a standard image file like .JPG or .GIF is sufficient. So you need either a scanner or a digital camera to convert your art to an image file.

Scanners are inexpensive to buy new, and can often be found cheaper still- literally pennies on the dollar- at flea markets, garage sales and used computer dealers. Setting one up and fiddling with the software is a books' worth all by itself, so I won't expound on it here.

A camera works too, but will have it's own issues with color, perspective (unless you're exactly 90 degrees to the artwork) resolution, and so on. It can be done, but the scanner will give you cleaner artwork that'll take less fiddling.

Last, you'll need some image-manipulation software, such as Photoshop, Paintshop, GIMP, or a few others. Photoshop is basically the standard, but expensive. Photoshop Elements is a much cheaper stripped-down version, and Paintshop is cheaper still. GIMP is a free online download, but not as capable and in my opinion, much less user-friendly.

If the artwork is pure B&W line art, what you'll want to do is scan it, save a copy, load it into the photo program, and tweak the raw scan. When I do something- I use an old copy of Paintshop- I raise the contrast and then convert to pure B&W (two separate steps.)

Then I use the paintbrush tool to erase or fill in any little errant squiggles or hiccups in the lines, crop the overall image to the size I want, and save a copy as a high-res original.

Then, depending on what I do with it, I'll resize it to various degrees- larger copies for printing or use on a Tshirt, smaller copies for use on letterhead, etc.

It's all relatively easy, but if you're not used to the whole process, it can take a bit to get the hang of the workflow.

Now, if it's a design you'll eventually have on the side of your truck and the sign on the building, you'll need to take it a step further. Have somebody convert the art to a Vector file- that way the sign shop can drop it right into their vinyl plotter and do both your sign and the sticker for the truck, the print shop can drop it right into their software to do your preprinted letterhead and envelopes, and the embroidery shop can plug it right into their machines to do your workshirts, hats and coveralls.

Doc.

OK.........scanned and uploaded to photobucket. Have no clue where to go from here.

scan0001.jpg

I'd use a scalable vector drawing package like CoralDraw rather than a bit-map painting program. Once you have drawn the logo it can be scaled and exported to almost any size and format you require.

Have a look at Serif's free DrawPlus package here:
DrawPlus: FREE Graphics, Illustration and Vector Drawing software download

As an example: I have used DP to copy this scanned (bit-mapped) logo (by drawing over the logo onto a new layer ) then exporting to DXF before cutting into perspex with a homebrew cnc engraver

Bill

Attachments

• RM.jpg
    RM.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 606
5 minute example: ;)

I had to zip this up as the board will not accept windows metafile format (.wmf)

You can unzip and open this in Internet Explorer (If IE8 can zoom, you'll be able to see how the image does not become blocky as a bit-map would when zoomed)

Bill

Attachments

• randolph.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 173
it would be a trivial matter to draw that up in adobe illustrator for someone who knows the software. find a freelance designer, have them trace it, and then supply the logo to you in a variety of different formats. the work can be wrapped up in a half hour, so it shouldn't be expensive. Unless you want to spend the time to learn to use illustration software, you'll be better off to just pay someone to do it.

Edit: if you plan on having this reproduced at a print shop or silk screen shop, they'll be able to do this for you for a small charge. Just tell them up front that you want the artwork back for multi-use.

the Corel suite Bill mentioned also has a trace program that is very neat - ir will trace any pic and convert to a vector diagram that you can then fine tune. as Bill says once as a vector diagram, there is no limit on scalability or resolution

Another idea: if you're proficient with some CAD modeller, you could make a 3d model of your logo. This can be kind of cool because you can scale it and rotate it to interesting angles, and if you make some of the elements seperate from each other, you can reposition and rescale them until you get the look you want. Endless possibilities. :) Then hopefully, you can export the image from your CAD software or take a screenshot of it to get a basis for your artwork.

So is this purty picture sposed to enhanse your bizcard so it's impresses the buyer??
Gaud... they're gittin dummer every day...

rockfish,
It looks like a simple logo. I'd like a closer look, send me a link to a larger photo. If its not more complex than I image from the small picture, I'll create a 3d model , jpg and a dxf at no charge.
dale

cadatgtprototypedotcom

Frank
Have you ever been a BUYER? of course you have, you buy stuff every day and some of the stuff you buy is made by companies that have a logo such as Ford and their blue oval, GM, and what tooling do you buy?.. Did you buy it because of some logo?.. if you did your cought in the trap of buying for the wrong reason and you can join the group of dummies I refered to... Your logo, no matter what it is, MEANS NOTHING, it wont make anyone think better of you, it wont make your parts any better, any faster, or any lower cost to the guy your trying to sell your stuff to. So WAKE THE HELL UP and get on with modernizing that shop full of antique iron that you hope to make a living with instead of wasting your time with a useless logo.

Back