What's new
What's new

how do i calculate these hole positions

moss99

Plastic
Hi all , maths is not my strong point im afraid , could someone tell me how it calculate (in simple terms please ) the position between the centres of these holes (between the 2 red lines )

see attached drawing ..holes1.jpg

What Erich is alluding to is the fact you have yourself a right triangle. Just Google for the formula as I don't think you can type out exponents and square root signs on a typical keyboard.

...Indeed - why try and complicate?

Yeah. X is +/- 12mm and Y is +/- 7mm. Get the holes in the right quadrants of the circle and you
should be good to go.

And just to clarify, I'm not a CNC guy so is it actually easier to position holes with an angular co-ordinate and the
radius of the circle? I see no reason to figure that out when you've got X and Y...

Is it just me or wouldn't it have made things a lot simpler if the person who made the drawings rotate the thing so you could read the hole centers directly?

He asked for the position of the center point between the 2 holes, and almost all of the comments are talking about pythagoras and angles, etc....

Why use trigonometry at all?

Simply add 12 in the X direction, and 7 in the Y direction, to the coordinate of the lower left hole.

He asked for the position of the center point between the 2 holes, and almost all of the comments are talking about pythagoras and angles, etc....

Why use trigonometry at all?

Simply add 12 in the X direction, and 7 in the Y direction, to the coordinate of the lower left hole.

Why do that, when clearly the zero position is the upper right hole? :rolleyes5:

Also, the statement (exact words used) "the position between the centres of these holes" is highly ambiguous, as there are infinitely many "positions" along the red line in between the two hole centers.

I'd personally recommend taking a ruler to your computer screen and reading out how far it is.

edit for clarity

Back