Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    most shops want at least 2 people on a shift in the shop area in case one needs help or in trouble or just needs some advice or consulting on something
    "Lone worker rule"

was working 2nd shift in one place, with only one other person.
    If they didn't come in, I had to either call the guard on duty each hour, or move
    to an area with other people.

Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a new music group i listen to. Called The Ballasts. Its all one long song called "60 cycle hum".

3. Likes atex57, BoxcarPete, bryan_machine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PocoLoco View Post
    I have a new music group i listen to. Called The Ballasts. Its all one long song called "60 cycle hum".
    Catchy tune, but a bit repetitive. Though far better than it's dub step cover that just sounds like a bunch of screeching and banging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PocoLoco View Post
    And I bet your favorite thing on TV is the salt and pepper fights?

6. Likes TeachMePlease, jamscal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be worse, you could be a welder working alone and spending all day in the dark.

8. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Could be worse, you could be a welder working alone and spending all day in the dark.
    Made me laugh. :-)
    The worst shops to work alone in are the garage/warehouse type with no natural light and just a roll-down gate. It feels like its always 4am in those places.
    Gotta have natural light if you can coming in.
    There should feel like there's an actual world outside with a natural order of things. Working with machines,living inside your head, inside a fluorescent box, is no way to go thru' life, son.

10. Likes Bobw, triumph406, neilho liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought some machines from a powerstation......the machineshop had maybe 5 workers,and was like 100,000 sq ft......to talk to the next guy was a 10 minuts walk.....I could have used that space...but as her indoors says.."You woulda filled it with junk ,same as everywhere"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the past 6 years Iíve worked from home a couple days a week and away from home a couple of days. When Iím home I dress as if I am going to the office, which I do at home. I go out for lunch every day, just to get a change of scenery. Otherwise I start having trouble staying motivated. My wife canít understand it but it definitely makes a difference.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To many voices inside the noggin to worry about some outside. No need for the radio either.

14. Likes strokersix liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I donít think Iíve gone more than a day without him round

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't hack it in an environment with other people. It's just too distracting or plain uncomfortable for me to work around other people, can't focus and make mistakes.

I have my own office at work, which isn't machining related, but it really is the same when I work with machining, I am alone in my shop and prefer it that way, sometimes with radio on. But I am probably not representative I know that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    And I bet your favorite thing on TV is the salt and pepper fights?
    Actually, it's a live cam of Erie, Pa in February....
    Erie News Now | WICU and WSEE in Erie, PA

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post

I donít think Iíve gone more than a day without him round
    Are those nose prints I see on the keyboard ?
    And paw prints on the beeg red button ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in my shop alone a lot. Most days, in fact. Years ago some of us started a local metalworking club. Through that, I met some people who are now my best friends. I email with them a lot, visit them occasionally, and we have one or two get-togethers a year. I also hang out on places like PM.

I also buy and sell shop-related items and meet and interact with people that way. I have met some interesting characters that way.

Finally, I travel up to 1/3rd of the year and meet a lot of people in campgrounds.

Works for me ..

metalmagpie

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    I imagine that like myself there are many other solo shops around the forum. I have day's where it is great to be alone with my thoughts and get into a good work flow without interruptions. There are of course those days where nothing goes right, and it would sure be nice to have someone in there to share in that with. I sometimes take breaks to go bs with the shop a few doors down who is usually also solo, but often can have full days without much interaction.

I am sure there are people who prefer the isolation, but for me I can feel it wearing on my mental health at times. Just curious of other's solutions to not isolate yourself too much.
    That's almost impossible to give advice for. You married, have kids, how long are your work days? I could go on.

That you have someone close you can go BS with as you write is good but does he do the same to you? If not he might find you annoying at times.

Are you in a remote area or can you talk to several people when you decide to take a break?

It all very much depends on your personality. Do you only want company when you feel you need it or do you try and be sociable with others because they might need it too now and then?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Are those nose prints I see on the keyboard ?
    And paw prints on the beeg red button ?
    Heís actually more of a manual guy.

Disclaimer: No cats were harmed in the taking of this photo. I have to take the tools out of that mill at night, and cover the vise. Why the hell it likes that spot I donít know.

Iím a cat person, just not that cat.

22. Likes TeachMePlease, awake liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    He’s actually more of a manual guy.

Disclaimer: No cats were harmed in the taking of this photo. I have to take the tools out of that mill at night, and cover the vise. Why the hell it likes that spot I don’t know.

I’m a cat person, just not that cat.

Cripes....he's started an "Employee Breeding Program".....

And apparently "Mountain Dew" is the stuff that works.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont work alone anymore since I hired a guy about 8 months ago, but when I did I absolutely loved it. As soon as I hired him it took all the enjoyment out of it. Dont get me wrong, its not him, hes a pleasant guy. I just much prefer working alone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garyhlucas View Post
    For the past 6 years I’ve worked from home a couple days a week and away from home a couple of days. When I’m home I dress as if I am going to the office, which I do at home. I go out for lunch every day, just to get a change of scenery. Otherwise I start having trouble staying motivated. My wife can’t understand it but it definitely makes a difference.
    If I don't get up and get dressed for work right away in the morning I am probably going to have an unproductive day, so I can understand that. I have caught myself being too relaxed about working self employed at times, and start to fall behind. I have to remember every now and then that structure and routine go a long way to keeping it on the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by pgmrmike View Post
    I dont work alone anymore since I hired a guy about 8 months ago, but when I did I absolutely loved it. As soon as I hired him it took all the enjoyment out of it. Dont get me wrong, its not him, hes a pleasant guy. I just much prefer working alone.
    Whenever I have hired someone in the past they never were here more than a week, so I don't have much to go off of, but in those instances it certainly did remove the nice parts of being alone. I think had they been the right workers it would have made up for the enjoyable parts I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcircleny View Post
    johfoster, This will be my long winded, serious reply. Please forgive me if in any way I offend you.

My Dogs keep me sane, and I am at the age where being alone, is something I almost prefer, That said here is some unsolicited advice. You can hire in, but, those folks are your employee's not your counselors, or friends, they may end being both, but, that is no reason to hire. I have been machining since 1978, in business since '85. I have been very lucky, and at times unlucky as hell. On my second wife, 2 great kids, two grandkids that I treasure. Here is the thing, if I wrote a letter to my younger self today, I would strongly recommend a certified life coach,to be more active in my community, and I believe I would seek out a 'therapist' that specialized in helping professionals deal with themselves. If you had ASKED my younger self about any of the 3, I would have laughed, called myself a pussy, and made fun of myself, because I was that ignorant. Being successful IS all about interacting with others, people buy from people, so having those 'social skills', and confidence to apply them is very important. Seek out a local venue that has a Dale Carnegie course, AND a toastmasters. BOTH will be well worth the time and effort. If you are already feeling alone, it wont be long before you get depressed, angry, and not fit to be around, even with the dogs. Trust me, I speak from experience. (I did say I was in my SECOND marriage)

One thing about work, we are all in a business, that, if God forbid, we suddenly took the dirt nap, some purchasing guy would reallocate our current order(s)to another shop, before we were cold. You MUST take time for yourself, no matter who might not like it.
    Learn to golf, or shooting sports, or camping, or something for you and the family.

There is a young member on here, whom I give GREAT credit to, he bought some machines, started a home shop, realized it was not the life he wanted for him, and his family, so gave it up, took a job, and I THINK is much happier. Not saying that is a solution for you, but I AM saying he was very wise to analyze HIMSELF, and what he wanted from and what he wanted to contribute to his own life.

Last thought, your customers will push every boundary you set, be it price, delivery, scheduling, whatever. but I tell you this they do it, then they go home! Set your tolerance for boundaries, and stick with them, if you loose a job because you didn't stay till midnight and come back at 5am, so be it. I know you might 'need the money', or need the next job, but again, your health, both mental and physical, and family well being far outweigh the PERCEIVED profit from that job.

I WISH YOU NOTHING BUT GOOD TIMES, SUCCESs, AND A HAPPY FAMLY LIFE.

I live across the country from you, but if you ever need to chat, rather than yell at the dog, look me up.
    Regards, Chris
    No worries about offending me I appreciate the thought out reply. To ease your mind a bit know that I am not huddled up in the corner of a dark shop at 1am every night. I spend most evenings at home relaxing, and typically get 7-8hrs of sleep a night. I have been to "therapy" off and on since around 18 yrs old onwards so I know the value in it. Sadly too many people choose to think of mental ability and social skills as fixed rather than learned.

Whenever a customer asks me to do a job requiring long days for a fast turn around they pay a premium that makes it worthwhile. I can though have bad habits of procrastinating on some jobs that push myself into needing to work a few long days in a row, which is something I am always trying to get better about. Thanks for the well wishes, and likewise to you!

26. Likes Greg White, Fulcircleny, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    NICARAGUA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont have a tv in the shop, not even a radio mostly just the ballasts. Resisting the conversion to LED, i will have no entertainment at all.