How do you light your workshop? ... Who's using LED's - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Heaton View Post
    With regard to color temp, I use 4500K which is perfect for me. I can tolerate 5000K if I have to, but NOT 6000K+. If you paint, get something with a good CRI (90+). Most of the 6000K LED cheapos have horrible CRI.
    What Gordon wrote is very important. A light’s nominal color temperature is a very general guide. The CRI is what tells you how things actually look under the lights. The closer the light’s spectral distribution is to daylight the better or more natural things will look. It’ll cost more but worth investigating before purchase and install.

When the maker of the lights does not supply this information, its likely that the spectral distribution is not something to brag about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my main shop is 30 x 40, with 12 foot eaves. I had 8' fluorescents for years, and they sucked. Slow startup in cold weather, and I never liked the light quality. Between 5 and 8 years ago, switched em out for 4 of these- Lithonia Lighting IBZ 632 6-Light Gloss T8 Fluorescent Industrial High Bay, White - - Amazon.com
    6 tube 4 ft long T8s. Much better light quality, more of it, and immediate start up.

But over my 5 or 6 main work areas, I also have these LED flood fixtures aiming straight down, over workbenches or important machines. I love the combo- really good light right where you need it, decent infill light every where else, and at the time, pretty cheap. Previously, for 30 years, I had 500w quartz halogen outdoor floods over the workbenches. The LEDs put out more light, better color, and are much cheaper and longer lasting. Those 500w quartz bulbs go a year or two, and melt, and, eventually, they melt their fixtures as well.
    LEPOWER 2 Pack 100W LED Flood Light, 10000lm Super Bright Work Light with Plug, 6000K White Light, IP66 Waterproof Outdoor Floodlight for Garage, Garden, Lawn, Basketball Court, Playground - - Amazon.com

I will probably phase into LED tubes for the fluorescents over time, though.

3. Likes henrya liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been slowly retrofitting my basement with LED highbay lights from home desperate. I think they're 21,000 lumens each. I've removed almost all the
    incandescents and fluorescent lighting, it's simply no longer needed. I've put a switch on each new fixture to shut things off it it's too bright in the part of the
    shop I'm not working in.

This makes a world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many times has this topic been covered here?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Propane (Parody of Cocaine) - YouTube
    Provides a convenient heat source as well.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm using Barrina 6500K 8' fixtures right now for temporary lighting on a remodelling job. I'm really happy with the light quality and can't complain about the price. I will probably put a few of them in for base lighting in my new shop and use additional lights where I need task lighting.

Barrina (Pack of 6) 8ft Led Tube Light Fixture, 44w, 4500lm, 6500K (Su
    – Barrina led

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am using the 4 foot, LED tubes, Sunco brand from the web. I have 5000K on all new bulbs in the shop because I want to take photos and videos there and don't want a mixture of color temperatures. The 5000Ks are fairly common so I do not have any problems getting that color temperature in different types of bulbs.

I have them installed in the original, $19.95 fixtures that were in my shop. The old, fluorescents gave me a ton of troubles and not enough light, especially in the corners. With just a one for one bulb replacement, no additional fixtures, I now have totally excellent light and ZERO problems. No dim bulbs, no flickering, none of them have needed replacement or any kind of work since I installed them two or three years ago. Absolutely no problems. And in those same old $19.95 fixtures.

I did remove the ballasts. The LED bulbs that I used were usable both with and without ballasts, but were more efficient without them. And many of those old ballasts were either already giving problems or soon would. I mean, what do you expect from a $19.95 fixture. The rewiring was super easy with the Sunco bulbs: all the tombstone wires on one end of the fixture were tied together and connected to one side of the incoming power and all the wires on the other end of the fixture went to the other income power line. That's it. Really no chance for errors.

Between the shop, the house, and some back yard lighting I installed 39 Sunco tubes and have not a single problem with any of them. I can't say enough good things about them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just had ALL fixtures switched to LED. My guess was a $27,000 job. My cost was $0,000.00, paid for by utility/gov.
    5000k. When first installed you will think they will sterilize you, but initial brightness goes away quickly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    Just had ALL fixtures switched to LED. My guess was a $27,000 job. My cost was $0,000.00, paid for by utility/gov.
    5000k. When first installed you will think they will sterilize you, but initial brightness goes away quickly.
    1960's NORAD heavy radar Klystrons and Traveling Wave Tubes actually HAVE sterilized more than a few of us.

Trick back in the day before "the pill" was to get one of yer buds on duty to "hold interlock", open the doors on the cabinet, stand for 3 seconds with yer gonads right in line with the big-ass tube, go off duty and shag yer brains out "bareback" without fear she'd git pregnant.

"Moderation in all things" didn't always apply.

You'd have to know GI-issue USAF horny?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently not enough.
    I still don't know where these fine fellas get T8 Ballast Bypass LED bulbs that are higher Lumen output than the same socket equivalent fluorescent bulb.

I get it, a 16W LED has the same (theoretical) output of a 28W fluorescent, but now show me a T8 LED that's brighter than the brightest Fluorescent!
    The Lumens/Watt mean absolute Dick when they don't offer brighter bulbs in the stores!
    How 'you gonna replace my 32W/3000 Lumens fluorescents with 20W/2100L LED bulbs and have better results?

Please don't tell me that it feels brighter or other blah blah, show me a meter reading instead.
    What I DO know is that I rewired 88 F96T12 2 bulb fixtures to make 44 F48T8 4 bulb units, and my light output increased drastically.
    Large part of the increase though came from the new reflectors!

At the same time, my old 2400sqf shop had 20 F48T8-2 bulb fixtures. The new tenant rewired it for bypass LED-s, 20W bulbs.
    Let's just say he had to strategically add 8 more fixtures just so he can see!

Don't get me wrong, I like proper LED lighting just fine ( not the garbage Chink shit though ), but bullshit figures don't impress me much.

13. Likes Gordon Heaton, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    Please don't tell me that it feels brighter or other blah blah, show me a meter reading instead.
    .. bullshit figures don't impress me much.
    ROFL!

- She: "The kitchen lights aren't as bright as they used to be!"

- He: "1950's Weston meter sez the ER75R40 are a great deal brighter. The eliptical reflector built into the glass envelope simply puts the light down onto your work surfaces instead of glaring into your eyes right out of the ceiling fixtures."

"And so on..."

See the concentrated supernova's on the ceiling, post 27...

Now yer irises tighten up, and seeing what you NEED to see - hint NOT ceiling lights - gets harder, "veiling reflections" a Royal Bitch Kitty, any reflective surface most of all.

We shall keep doing this until more folk get it right?

Info I had to spend best part of a week in hotels at Nela Park (and GE charged for that course, BTW..) to grok is easier now.

TONS of lighting engineering / comfort / safety / productivity / psychological and physiological effects studies all over the internet.

For free, even.

I mean.. how could a lighting professional CHARGE for something a machinist will advise on for free?

That's like a frostychute trying to earn a crust at a Florida U "spring break".

Free sex Amateurs would run the poor fee-sex professional soul unto death by starvation.

Meanwhile THEY are trading STD's if they were a growth stock as had cash redemption value on double-compounding interest? No damned WONDER they weren't fussed about COVID!

Youth does indeed lay waste to the young.

"Some day.. over a jar.."

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really Bob ... does it matter???

IMO somebody always has something "NEW" to offer and LED lighting technology is always changing, as are new products and pricing.

Just my two pence worth but I don't find it a chore to re-read posts.

John

16. Likes henrya, Steven-Canada, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    ..somebody always has something "NEW" to offer and LED lighting technology is always changing, as are new products and pricing.
    Bingo. and "not only".

Sometimes it is the "core" technology. Just as often it is better understanding and more effective APPLICATION of it.

Better arrays, reflectors, dispersion, handier fixturing, improved durability, more convenient install.. wiser placement and density.. and yes, COSTS ... that may have changed significantly since "last time we did this".

"Carry on!"

Few things, ever, as cannot be further improved.

18. Likes Jersey John liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    We need a "No Selfies" rule.....

20. Likes UGLYMRJ liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    We need a "No Selfies" rule.....
    Why?

Could it be because you are not as young, fit, and handsome?

Howja like to have somebody say:

"How will I know which one of those guys in the other room is Bill?"

"Can't miss him. He's the only one that looks like he could be God's older brother!"

And that was over thirty years ago?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well folk

I can only thank you all for your contributions ... LED's it is!

Four twin tube fluorescent units now dumped in the local recycling center and four 75W LED 6ft units with switchable temperature (3K / 4K / 5.5K) due for delivery tomorrow. Various LED down lighters re-positioned to cover tool cupboards.

Also having made a call to my local electrical supplier I managed another 15 percent off the order.

Attached is the fact sheet.

Stay safe and once again really appreciate all your input.

John

https://www.canon-photography.com/foxton_led_75w.pdf

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Why?

Could it be because you are not as young, fit, and handsome?

Howja like to have somebody say:

"How will I know which one of those guys in the other room is Bill?"

"Can't miss him. He's the only one that looks like he could be God's older brother!"

And that was over thirty years ago?
    From some skit.... IIRC "The oldest man"
    "So...what was Jesus like...as a neighbor ?"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    From some skit IIRC "The oldest man"
    "So...what was Jesus like...as a neighbor ?"
    Ermm.. those who have actually dug for suppportable facts.. rather than gone by the "product marketing" ....actually have a fair-decent idea.

Not remotely close to what you might have been told work for yah?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Ermm.. those who have actually dug for suppportable facts.. rather than gone by the "product marketing" ....actually have a fair-decent idea.

Not remotely close to what you might have been told work for yah?
    "I'm a PastaFarian".....works for me...