What's new
What's new

How do you say Hardinge Properly?

Might sound like a dumb question, But I have a meeting this week with some people that may care how I pronounce it.
Is it Hardinge like Hard - Inje? Or like Har - Ding?
Pretty much just the end I do not know for sure. If it is like Ding like a bell, or the other way.
I tried to call and see how they answered, but they said something else when they answered, and I felt a little dumb to ask.

That, in fact, was WHY I called Hardinge - to hear them pronounce it, and they do say "Hard-inj."

The reason I wondered is that here in town we have a big truck rental outfit called "Hengehold," and they are quite clear about pronouncing it "Heng - hold."

If it's your personal name, you can pronounce it any way you want - like Bette Davis and Bette Midler.

I pronounce it hard-inge with the inge sounding like the end of hinge, the things you hang doors with. That is how the machinist in the shop I learned a lot from pronounced it.

I had a co worker that worked for them for years, he would say hard ing no e sounds at all. He woud also call them Harding Brothers not just the short Harding, even would say a "Harding Brothers" lathe

FWIW, this is at least the second thread on this same subject... maybe every year someone will ask anew...

On a less jocular note, I actually had to phone them last week to order a few parts for my Bridgy. On the phone they answer it as hard-inj, at least in the UK.
I assume therefore that it would be the same over there.

Peter

Har - ding - guh (Or thereabouts) Meant to be said quickly.

Of course, people look at me funny when I pronounce GroB "Gross". ;)

Need more Umlaut. :mrgreen:

I own one. I say Har-Dinj....

If penelope is Puh-nell-oh-pee how come cantelope isn't Can-tell-oh-pee......English...we must make up the rules as we go along....

Tough, Through, Thorough, Slough, Cough..... ;)

Knew a gal Penelope a while back, she was about 6'3.. everyone just called her "lope"
(rhymes with rope... not dopey)

Pronunciation- OT

...reminds me of the guy who went to Hawaii to verify the proper pronunciation- the first person he found who was apparently a native pronounced the name of the islands as 'hav-i-ee'... as the traveller thanked him the native warmly responded 'you're velcome'

I have more but they get worse...
d

pneumatic dead-horse beater vs air powered

reference quote: Originally Posted by A_Pmech
Har - ding - guh (Or thereabouts) Meant to be said quickly.

Of course, people look at me funny when I pronounce GroB "Gross".

That did not slip past me "ß"
=========================
which brings to mind-
Q: "why did the moron get kicked out of German class?"

A: "because stuck his 'ooml' out" :p

I began doing work for Oster company- at the time a household word known for blenders, etc- and tried to verify the pronunciation.
The first contact answered the phone "owe-ster" -the telephone operator insisted on connecting me with customer service. I didnt want to jeopardize her career so I held on to hear the next person pronounce the same company as "aah-ster" I later was told by higher executives that even the family pronounced the name differently among themselves. I never really minded as long as the bank continued to cash their checks...

I guess the answers we would most happily accept depend on the credentials associated with the members who posts them, no?

d

Back