What's new
What's new

how do you store your indicators and bases?

stoneaxe

Stainless
Seems like the indicators have proliferated over the years, usually they are on a mag base and just stuck on a machine somewhere.

I don't have space or time to be taking them off the mag base and putting them in boxes in a drawer, but they do seem to take up a lot of room on the machines. I am thinking of getting a piece of angle and bolting it to the wall to stick all the mag bases on, out of the way and off the machines.

how do you store them when not in immediate use?

On the side of my Kennedy tool box with the rods up to lessen the torque
on the mag base. I do take the more expensive ones off the base and store them
in their box.

Larry S
Fort Wayne, IN

I don't bother putting them back in their original boxes but I do put them in a padded drawer in my Vidmar cabinet next to the lathe. My mill is on the other side of the cabinet so it is not much trouble getting an indicator for either.

A couple of the most used setups get stored right near the machine, stuck onto a handy metal surface.

The rest of them are stuck the the bottom of a small sheet of steel, which is affixed to the bottom of a shelf. The indicators hang down below the shelf.

In their boxes, but all I have are Interapid dial indicators. I don't use a mag base, the idea of sticking a magnet on my machine and magnetizing it sends shivers down my spine. Holdover from my tool and die days.

In their boxes, but all I have are Interapid dial indicators. I don't use a mag base, the idea of sticking a magnet on my machine and magnetizing it sends shivers down my spine. Holdover from my tool and die days.

I don't think hanging a Noga off my Monarch will require any degaussing.

Tool rack behind the lathe.
Scrap metal I had lying around, piece of vertical angle welded to the chip tray at each end, two pieces of rectangular tubing welded between them.
Bottom one holds a small shelf, top one angled to hold indicator bases at the far end. Other small rectangular "tabs" welded to the tubing hold the BXA toolholders.

dNggl8vl.jpg

Back