What's new
What's new

How does a soldering station work

Bill D

Diamond
I picked up a soldering station at a thrift store. a older weller with no temp control knob. I found no info on the internals so I would like to know how it works seems like a transformner inside the box. The tip is maybe spring loaded. so how does it sense temp and control the power to the iron.
bill D.

I picked up a soldering station at a thrift store. a older weller with no temp control knob. I found no info on the internals so I would like to know how it works seems like a transformner inside the box. The tip is maybe spring loaded. so how does it sense temp and control the power to the iron.
bill D.

bill D.

Usually they are 24v ac powered. In the tip on some of the wellers there is a temp device that sets the thermostat. I believe its all in the handle on those.

Usually they are 24v ac powered. In the tip on some of the wellers there is a temp device that sets the thermostat. I believe its all in the handle on those.

The tips are available in different heat ranges.
They connect/disconnect in the barrel.

The temperature is controlled by the tip. There's a magnet inside the tip the loses its magnetism at a set temperature. This shuts the heater off. Tips are available for 600, 700, and 800F. Search www.newark.com for "WTCTP".

These are current model "production" soldering irons and are a very nice iron - for electronic soldering.

The heater runs on 24V from the transformer.
Edit: fat-finger-itis, it's WTCPT
--
Aaron

If it has the knurled ring at the base of
the iron shaft, near the handle, do this:

1) turn off the iron and wait for it to cool.

2) unscrew the knurled ring and remove the
ring and sleeve.

3) remove the tip and look to see if it has a
number at the base.

If so the number will be 6, 7, or 8 which
indicates 600, 700, or 800F operating temp.

There's a microswitch in the handpiece which
opeates via a magnet in the tip. The magnet
cycles in and out of its curie temperature to
control the power flow to the tip. Cute idea
actually.

"Weller Magnastat" is the trade name.

Jim

The temperature is controlled by the tip. There's a magnet inside the tip the loses its magnetism at a set temperature. This shuts the heater off. Tips are available for 600, 700, and 800F. Search www.newark.com for "WTCTP".

These are current model "production" soldering irons and are a very nice iron - for electronic soldering.

--
Aaron

If it has the knurled ring at the base of
the iron shaft, near the handle, do this:

1) turn off the iron and wait for it to cool.

2) unscrew the knurled ring and remove the
ring and sleeve.

3) remove the tip and look to see if it has a
number at the base.

If so the number will be 6, 7, or 8 which
indicates 600, 700, or 800F operating temp.

There's a microswitch in the handpiece which
opeates via a magnet in the tip. The magnet
cycles in and out of its curie temperature to
control the power flow to the tip. Cute idea
actually.

"Weller Magnastat" is the trade name.

Jim

--
Aaron

Back