What's new
What's new

How to find a toolholder for known Kennametal inserts

MichaelP

Titanium
I noticed people asking how to match a known Kennametal insert to a toolholder. Guys (myself included) find inserts, but don't know what toolholders will work with them, and the Kennametal catalog is not too user friendly in this respect. I'd like to share a reply from a Kennametal application engineer. He is using VNGP431 insert as an example. Note that once you find matching Kennametal toolholders, you can use the numbers to find their analogs made by other manufacturers.

OK, here it goes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So if you have a 2018 catalog or you can look it up on our web page you will take the insert VNGP 431 you will go past all of the inserts and when you get to the toolholders you will see a column that says “gage insert” that will show you the VN…431 or 432. The most important is the first two letters and the 4 that shows the IC of the insert IC inscribe circle the next number 3 tells you the thickness of the insert and the last number 1 or 2 is the radius. The other dimension that will be important is the “H” dimension. This tells you the size of the shank. .750 or 1.0, 1.25.

The other way is to go to the Kennametal website and download NOVO. Now if you download NOVO this is the easiest way.

You will go under search / quick search

Type in VNGP 431

You will see a list of insert you will select a grade and the click on create a new tool assembly.

You will come to a new page to add a tool just above the insert

It will show you all of the externa and internal tool holder that are available.

Here are a couple of screen prints. This will help you select the tools and NOVO is much easier than using the catalog".

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 59
Don't get why we should have to download a program to make up for their unintuitive and bass ackwards website. Hell they could just use HTML5 to include that program on their website if it is the only way to find their tools. I hate trying to find tools from them when the number has been either worn off of the tool we are trying to replace. And God help you if you are trying to find a new tool for a new application.

Don't get why we should have to download a program to make up for their unintuitive and bass ackwards website. Hell they could just use HTML5 to include that program on their website if it is the only way to find their tools. I hate trying to find tools from them when the number has been either worn off of the tool we are trying to replace. And God help you if you are trying to find a new tool for a new application.

What those tool companies (Sandvik, Kenna, Seco, Walter,Mitsubishi) need to do is copy Iscar's website.

THEY have it figured out. You can actually find something and therefore I buy more from them.

I noticed people asking how to match a known Kennametal insert to a toolholder. Guys (myself included) find inserts, but don't know what toolholders will work with them, and the Kennametal catalog is not too user friendly in this respect. I'd like to share a reply from a Kennametal application engineer. He is using VNGP431 insert as an example. Note that once you find matching Kennametal toolholders, you can use the numbers to find their analogs made by other manufacturers.

OK, here it goes.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"So if you have a 2018 catalog or you can look it up on our web page you will take the insert VNGP 431 you will go past all of the inserts and when you get to the toolholders you will see a column that says “gage insert” that will show you the VN…431 or 432. The most important is the first two letters and the 4 that shows the IC of the insert IC inscribe circle the next number 3 tells you the thickness of the insert and the last number 1 or 2 is the radius. The other dimension that will be important is the “H” dimension. This tells you the size of the shank. .750 or 1.0, 1.25.

The other way is to go to the Kennametal website and download NOVO. Now if you download NOVO this is the easiest way.

You will go under search / quick search

Type in VNGP 431

You will see a list of insert you will select a grade and the click on create a new tool assembly.

You will come to a new page to add a tool just above the insert

It will show you all of the externa and internal tool holder that are available.

Here are a couple of screen prints. This will help you select the tools and NOVO is much easier than using the catalog".

OR, you can call them also for an answer. i take maybe 10-12 calls a week about people having older ingersoll inserts and want to know information about them. our website, ingersoll-imc.com is very easy to navigate but the downside is that we only keep products that are current and up tp 10 years old of lines on our website, anything older then say 2005, you would have to call tech support for answers

OR, you can call them also for an answer. i take maybe 10-12 calls a week about people having older ingersoll inserts and want to know information about them. our website, ingersoll-imc.com is very easy to navigate but the downside is that we only keep products that are current and up tp 10 years old of lines on our website, anything older then say 2005, you would have to call tech support for answers

And yes, Ingersoll is very good too.

vr6, say hi to Wally D. if you see him. :D

What those tool companies (Sandvik, Kenna, Seco, Walter,Mitsubishi) need to do is copy Iscar's website.

THEY have it figured out. You can actually find something and therefore I buy more from them.

Just don't forget to switch from MM to Inch before you click on the tool.

Also hate Mitsubishi website now that you mention it. I have never gotten their "Easy Search" to work so that means I have to go through dozens of pages of their list to find anything. Which is no good if you don't already have an idea of the tool number you are looking for. Usually I'll try to use google to search their catalog, though that doesn't always work. At least we have a damn good local rep with Mitsubishi who has been a great help.

Back