What's new
What's new

How to friction weld with a drill press.

LOL!
I love the video description: "I disabled comments on this video because I kept getting the same stupid comments over and over from clueless people. "

From the producer of said video:
"I disabled comments on this video because I kept getting the same stupid comments over and over from clueless people."

Now that the Op has posted a linky, the producer will be logging in here shortly.....:ack2:

One thing is for sure.....if we could see behind the guy, we'd see shelves full of row upon row of re-purposed glass jars full of every random screw and square nut he'd ever come across in the past 43 years. And lots of Black and Decker orange.

Guess he should have added sticking a stud, the chucked part onto a thick piece of material.

Perhaps add a little flux and friction weld a stud to a part?

Perhaps that with a pre-drilled hole and covering with soot or the like to allow slow cooling.

I might try that someday when I have nothing to do.

Friction welding - YouTube

I've seen friction stir welding done with a BP before...

ETA: I meant on purpose (in a lab setting) not what happens when you load up an endmill in aluminum.

I was watching it, thinking that he had confused spot/resistance welding with friction welding. All the friction welding I've ever seen is to weld something to the spinning part.

And then it stuck to the spinning part. 😆😆

Perhaps they are too busy doing things in ways that actually work.

Numb-nuts in the video may have actually welded something (not his tool) together if he had retracted that tool when it was red hot. But he always waited until it cooled and then the tool was welded.

Don't they make spot welders any more?

And YES, clamps would really help. He was holding a piece of sheet metal with his bare hand. Only luck prevented the loss of a finger or two.

Why do I never see this level of skill and knowledge from the people on this forum?

Back