What's new
What's new

How is the machinability of prodec 304ss?

plastikdreams

Diamond
I have a fixture to make, we have some prodec 304ss .750 plate. The base and one block will get machined and ground to .500 while another gets machined and ground to .375. I will wire all the features. Except for holes of course.

So I know how 304ss is to machine, per the rolled alloy website prodec has increased machinability. Does anyone have experience with this? How was your experience?

Thanks!

Machine it like it's 304 but expect better tool life. This has been my experience. It's not a silver bullet but it is nicer. Being a brand name should lead to more consistency between batches of material as well.

I machine it quite a bit from time to time. I run screw machines. Runs the same as 304 but tools last longer. less hard spots. more consistancy.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be using 5 flute end mills on the Bridgeport with koolmist to hack the material down. I might even break out my new 1.00 cutter to speed facing up. I'm not totally sure how I'm gonna do this, I have a few options. Tolerances are tightish, some +/-.002 and a few +/-.0005...nothing extreme.

I think I may wire the blanks out for thickness, then grind to size, then wire the profiles. This gives me great squareness. But I still need to dwell on it in the morning.

Back