What's new
What's new

How to machine narrow slot into workpiece?

cds333

Plastic
jet_cross_slide_3.jpg

Can someone please tell me what is the preferred method to accomplish this slot in the attached image? Other than an angle grinder or bandsaw of course! Can it be done on a mini-mill?

Thanks!

Typically done with a slitting saw in an arbor.

edit: beat me to it Gordon :)

You are trying to split a nut?
Of course it can be done a a mini-mill with an end mill and lots of patience and all sorts of fiddle farting around.
It can also be done with a manual hack saw, a vise and will work the same when done.
KISS
Bob

Thanks guys; that was fast!

I thought about using a 1/16 end mill, but those are just so tiny; I expect to break them very quickly. The first thing I need to make is a bushing out of a 5/8" tool steel round tubing, but I want it to look professional, i.e. no manual cuts :)

Can anyone recommend a good brand of slotting saw? Obviously the ones on Amazon are junk but the big suppliers have dozens if not hundreds ranging in price from $20 to $300 for the same diameter. I'm looking to be around $50 or less, if possible. I only need a 1/16 slot, no more than a half inch deep in aluminum or maybe 3/16 - 1/4" deep in tool steel.

Also if I plan to cut up to tool steel, I would have to go with carbide, correct? (I would think that HSS wouldn't work)

Thanks!

That looks like brass or some type of bronze. Be careful when splitting it as when you get to the end the material will more than likely collapse on the cutter.

"Also if I plan to cut up to tool steel, I would have to go with carbide, correct? (I would think that HSS wouldn't work)"

-If the "tool steel" hasn't been hardened you can most certainly use a HSS end mill or slitting saw (preferable) to cut a thin slot. Just use the appropriate RPM and coolant/cutting oil. The previous advice from g-coder05 about the piece collapsing is very possible. This can trap the cutter AND change the way it fits/threads onto the mating component.

Also if I plan to cut up to tool steel

It isn't magically hard until heat treated - might help to read up on the materials you want to work with

These guys had no carbide and no HSS. They still managed to machine the parts for this 85 ton assembly about 1899

Attachments

• Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 85
It isn't magically hard until heat treated - might help to read up on the materials you want to work with

Actually it may be. I'm not sure about the hardness but I may be repurposing metal that was already hardened for use as a tool. (As it is a lot cheaper and I'm planning on making a few mistakes as I am new to this technique.)

In that case, would carbide be preferred, or should I attempt to un-harden the metal first and then re-harden after I have machined it?

Thanks!

"Also if I plan to cut up to tool steel, I would have to go with carbide, correct? (I would think that HSS wouldn't work)"

-If the "tool steel" hasn't been hardened you can most certainly use a HSS end mill or slitting saw (preferable) to cut a thin slot. Just use the appropriate RPM and coolant/cutting oil. The previous advice from g-coder05 about the piece collapsing is very possible. This can trap the cutter AND change the way it fits/threads onto the mating component.

So make up a sacrificial plug that fits the minor diameter of the thread out of aluminium to prevent it collapsing....

Dave H. (the other one)

Back