How to make holes on the surface of ring parts like attached picture. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No tolerances....where is that "I've got a drill press" poster ?
    *yawn* Drill press.. AND a right-angle-capable rotab, here.

    Or mount the chuck on the Ellis DH, also right-angle capable.

    Just flip the latch, use the built-in "speed indexer" plate instead of the worm gears and divider plates. Nuthin' TO it.

    Have to check, but ISTR it already has a 24-position indexer plate in it as I type so there's prolly all yah need for this minor nuisance. The tasking. AND the besucher!


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,782
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    *yawn* Drill press.. AND a right-angle-capable rotab, here.

    Or mount the chuck on the Ellis DH, also right-angle capable.

    Just flip the latch, use the built-in "speed indexer" plate instead of the worm gears and divider plates. Nuthin' TO it.

    Have to check, but ISTR it already has a 24-position indexer plate in it as I type so there's prolly all yah need for this minor nuisance. The tasking. AND the besucher!

    Naw...we all know that you (and I) could doo it.

    I was thinking back to this poster:
    Drilling straight centered holes in a rod without a lathe

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Naw...we all know that you (and I) could doo it.
    "DO it?" Not I. I don' 'doo" repetition. That's what CNC is for.

    Make a drill jig good enuf a drunken monkey on weed couldn't f**k it up if all he had was was a Yankee push drill, an eggbeater hand drill, or a cordless with a wobbly Chinee chuck, rather!

    You must have some idea how hard it is to get any BETTER help these days when "engineers' haven't the least klew how a HOLE is made short of being BORN with one or more - then growing them larger and looser?


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    133
    Likes (Received)
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    No tolerances....where is that "I've got a drill press" poster ?
    Hey, at least he seems to have the basic tool needed to drill a hole in the first place, and God knows with the other projects of his he's tried to do with it this one is a piece of cake.

  5. Likes digger doug liked this post
  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    767
    Likes (Received)
    2508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    something tells me this guy aint coming back. IS this just a "Let me waste everyone's time asking a lame hypothetical question"
    I was thinking he's one of those "engineers"...

    You know the guy.

    Our in house machinist said how to make it but I wanted to get some other opinions...

  7. Likes TeachMePlease, digger doug, Rudd liked this post
  8. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I was thinking he's one of those "engineers"...

    You know the guy.
    Nah. He's "not there, yet"

    "My kindergarten teacher said we should stick a soda-straw in the milk carton ration and suck.

    "But I think that too many Engineers suck already."

    "So putting it on the pavement back of the tires on her motorcar will empty it FASTER when she leaves for the day."

    How's that for clever "Engineering" with no effort?

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    767
    Likes (Received)
    2508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ..."My kindergarten teacher said we should stick a soda-straw in the milk carton ration and suck.
    Soda Straws? Are you crazy! Those things are illegal.

    Now I'm off to the pot store, lol...

  10. Likes tdmidget, Larry Dickman liked this post
  11. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Soda Straws? Are you crazy! Those things are illegal.

    Now I'm off to the pot store, lol...
    Errrm.. it WAS 1949 Belle Meade, New Joisey... And "Oh, BTW?" They were spiral-rolled waxed paper "straws" as well.



    I didn't much know what "plastic" was yet .. until I asked Dad what the difference between "celluloid" and "plastic" was and he just up and MADE some in the kitchen.

    You'll have to hurry on the other thing. Folk who think they are "engineers" seem to be smokin' up all the best weed. Or maybe it is NOT "the best"?


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    767
    Likes (Received)
    2508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Errrm.. it WAS 1949 Belle Meade, New Joisey... And "Oh, BTW?" They were spiral-rolled waxed paper "straws" as well.



    I didn't much know what "plastic" was yet .. until I asked Dad what the difference between "celluloid" and "plastic" was and he just up and MADE some in the kitchen.

    You'll have to hurry on the other thing. Folk who think they are "engineers" seem to be smokin' up all the best weed. Or maybe it is NOT "the best"?

    I made nylon in chem lab.

    I don't know what engineers are smoking these days, lol. Who the hell uses 10-24's anyway?

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    31,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    9833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I made nylon in chem lab.
    Lybarger - of Lybarger's Corollary - and I were such "model students" we were able to hand receipt a proper distillation rig for "a home experiment".

    Which we failed at.

    The vapour point of denaturant Pyridine Monazine was too DAMNED close to that of the Ethanol is was denaturing for the "demonstration grade" still to separate!



    Fortunately, drafting skills worked where distilling skills had not, so we soon found a reliable source for proper potables from "Old Bourbon County, Virginia" (other US States, long-since, by then, but "Old Bourbon" still graces their labels, even if it ain't but a year "old"!) as wasn't overly fussy about hand-made ID's!



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •