What's new
What's new

Millport 1540

pops2004

Plastic
Just acquired a Millport 1540 lathe that was on its way to the scrap yard. I need to get a phase converter as I don’t have three phase in my shop.

The main problem with this machine is that the plate that has all the numbers regarding speeds and feeds as well as all the threading info is unreadable. About 98% of the numbers are gone. If anyone has one of these lathes I would appreciate a picture of that area so I can add some numbers and tell me what speeds I have and also the threading info.

Thanks,
Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard,

Thanks for the info. Called them this morning and found out this machine was built in the mid sixties from what I described to him. He said there’s a very few parts available for it. He had no idea where to go to look for the info I’m needing. The spindle speed numbers are there but the threading info is not. I did find a few videos on utube involving this machine but no close up’s of the area I need. I’ll keep trying and see what I can come up with. Need to get it unloaded off my trailer and start cleaning.

Thanks, Barry

Mustachio916,
Thank you SO much for the pictures. That was exactly what I needed. For some reason the bottom plate with all the threading info was wiped clean. One of the previous owners cut the bottom right corner of the plate away to access the power switch. I guess he was in
to big of a hurry to take his time and do it the right way.

I’ve got a crane coming this afternoon to move a milling machine I just reconditioned and take it back to its owner. I’ll have him unload this lathe and put it in my shop. Then the fun starts with cleaning and hook it up. The guy who gave it to me said it did run. He just didn’t have room for it in his shop.

Thanks again,
Barry in Houston

I have a Millport also, it is a little bigger version than yours (18 x 60) but it had the same issues. I think it was built in the mid 80's, and it was a Tiawan machine. The paint silk screening on the control panels was really in bad shape. It seems like the coolant used just softened it so that it wiped right off. I got a sketch from somewhere, but it is not the same as the pictures already posted. Glad you got what you needed. I picked up mine because of the price and the ways were in great shape. I also got it because I wanted a machine equipped for imperial and metric. Only thing is that it is motor on/ motor off, no clutch. Took a little getting used to. Good luck with it, I use mine a lot.

Awesome, glad I could help. I acquired mine under similar circumstances. Guy never got around to getting 3 phase power run to the lathe, and it was just in his way.

I'll take a higher resolution photo of that panel and post it tomorrow morning. My project car was parked right next to the lathe that night and I didn't back it out to take the initial photos.

Crane came yesterday and moved the machines around. Spent today trying to get it moved around in my shop and wired up. After two trip to Home Depot to get parts it seems I still need a 30 amp breaker for my breaker box. For some reason I forgot to pick one up when I was there. Decided I was done for today. Be at Home Depot early in the morning for a breaker and see if I can get it powered up.

The higher resolution pictures would be great. Some of the numbers are a little hard to read. You wouldn’t by chance have a manual on that machine, would you?

We’ll, it’s now under power. It runs forward but not in reverse. Looks like a bent tab on the switch. The lead screw that does the threading does not seem to rotate. The shear pin seems to be intact. Need to do a little more research on that issue. Tomorrow is another day!!

Barry

Unfortunately I do not. Please let me know if you do come across manuals or electrical schematics.

The feedrate selection levers on my machine do not necessarily have a firm positive engagement (ESPECIALLY the numbered dial). Try rotating the spindle manually while selecting gears. That being said, I've never had it pop out of gear while running.

here is a better photo of the feedrate selection panel

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture. I got the gearing all figured out. I just didn’t have one of the handles in gear. Need to use a marker to label the letters until I can get something better.

Another question: There’s a long narrow plate on the bottom with seven holes that appear to be switches. The first one on the right is an empty hole. The next spot is a red button that turns the machine off. To the left of the red one are two green switch/ lights. To the left of them is a orange light that seems to have no function. The other two spaces are blank holes. There’s several wires stuffed inside of that plate that go nowhere. Any idea what is supposed to be there?

It looks like your control layout is a bit different than mine, I do have some of these controls but they are arranged vertically on the right side of the control cluster. On my machine one of the switches turns on the coolant pump, one green button is an inch advance for the spindle, the red button is emergency stop. There is another switch and I dont even remember what that does.

Does anyone have a wire diagram for the Millport 1540 lathe? I can’t figure out the controls. Also any manual information.
Thanks

Back