What's new
What's new

How to move a Moore #2?

Cole2534

Diamond
I put this in General so itd get greater exposure.

There's a Moore #2 jig grinder local to me and I'm seriously tempted to pick up solely as a museum piece. I don't need it, but it's in great shape and I'd hate to see it sent to scrap.

Supposing I bought this thing, how the hell do I move it?

Link- https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org...ml[/b] Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

How would I move it? Does it have accommodations for overhead rigging? It looks even more top-heavy than a knee mill, and I'd faint if it toppled over.

For that matter, does it really only weigh 3150? Looks heavier than that.

I have a #2 and #3 Moore. Weight is about right. I moved both of mine and use them quite often! They are a bit top heavy but they are quite stable, I had no problem moving my 2 nor any problem moving it to change location in my shop.
OOOps!!! didn't see it was grinder, I have borers.

Last edited:
I don't why people think it so difficult to move something like this. I bought a 6,000 bed mill, way more top heavy than this and purchased a cheap set of rollers and a 6 foot pry bar. By myself using wood blocks I levered it up and slid the rollers underneath. Then I pulled it out to the roll bed truck and using a 1/4" plate to bridge the edge of the truck we winched it right up. Removed the rollers and drove it 200 miles to our shop and rolled it off.

I did a large Shizoka mill on a small truck by putting two timbers across to make the base wider and then two more timbers through bolted at right angles that the rollers went under so it was never more than an inch off the ground. Take your time go slow and it is not really a big deal.

as mentioned, remove the actual air spindle, then go around back, there is a counter weight, that is accesable from the rear, Moore actually has a little print, of a counterweight securing devise they want you to make, then use, but as long as the move isn't too far use your judgement. Yes, it is top heavy, but you definatly want to secure the counterweight, and to do so requires the head to NOT be all the way down at the table level, but higher so that weight is lowered to ITS lowest securable position.

Mike, in Service at MOORE can send a copy of that "print" if you want it. I may have a copy here as well, but again, mine is a #3, so it may be a but different. Good luck, they may be "old school" but I use mine all the time.
Chris

At the very top of the machine there is a threaded hole for a lifting ring. The #2s base is narrow compared to the #3, so be careful moving it otherwise.
I will point out, the spindle bearings are special heavy pre loaded, if they make noise or get hot, the repair will not be cheap, or easy to do yourself

i find the machines ideal for casting repairs, spun out bearings etc. good luck! Missed it is a grinder also...

I put this in General so itd get greater exposure.

There's a Moore #2 jig grinder local to me and I'm seriously tempted to pick up solely as a museum piece. I don't need it, but it's in great shape and I'd hate to see it sent to scrap.

Supposing I bought this thing, how the hell do I move it?

Link- https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org...at that price so it eventually went to scrap.

For context for the peanut gallery, here is a bit about this machine in the NYC CNC tour of Superb Industries: YouTube The TL;DR is that these days, apparently EDM does all the things these machines used to do and more, and EDM has got less finicky and more reliable over time.

It would be a shame if this thing with all the accessories and an official factory Moore wooden desk for crying out loud, went to scrap. I would urge offering a scrap type price Cole2534, and best of luck!

If it was closer, I would pick it up no questions asked, for the price listed. Most Moore Jig Grinders in dilapidated worthless condition are ASKING $3-$5k. Anything serviceable in GOOD shape is $10-15k.

TONS of uses still for Jig Grinders. I suppose if your one of the aluminum CNC shops that spits out widgets all day, you probably wouldn't find much use for it. I could probably find a use for one for SURE once a month, more likely weekly.

The grinder, like the borer, also has holes in the machine for using bars to lift it. I have moved my #3 twice and the holes are made to balance the machine, it works well. Buy stock with flats.

Not sure if it's the same, but when we moved our #2 Moore Jig Borer, we used a hook on the end of our forklift forks and hung the borer from the lifting eye located on top of the machine. You'll need headroom to drive with your mast up so far, but you can keep the machine close to the ground and negate the tipping hazard. Our's didn't have the OEM balance weight support, but a 2x4 of appropriate length worked fine.

I have moved the Moore in two sections. The whole column can be easily removed by unscrewing the 8 bolts that hold it to the base. This makes two lighter parts that are not top heavy or too high to drive (on the truck)into the shop (as in my case). It is assumed that there is some hoist or fork lift at either end.

Back