What's new
What's new

How much can this machine pull

I have a keyway broach for sale and a customer asked how much it pulls My math is a bit rusty so perhaps someone can help me out
It has a 1.8kw 700rpm motor and it is geared down onto a pinion and rack so the speed of the broach is 8.2mtr per minute
With what force can it pull Ignore friction for now But for those who want to make a guess on friction as well It has a pinion on the motor Then it goes to a spur gear which has a pinion on the same shaft that rides in the rack

Peter

Help, I’m back in school, and it’s just as hard!, it sounds like one of my engineering science exam questions
Now I’m buggered
Mark

I think (that's ?????????????? cus I'm not mathematicin) we need to know the pitch dia of the pinion gear that rides on the rack - so we can work out the leverage etc etc, ..................along with the torque figure of the motor ?????

oksy Sami, now shut up and get back in ya hole ;)

1.8 kW is 1800 N*m/s. The broach speed is 8.2 m/min or 0.137 m/s. If the motor and drive were 100% efficient, the pull force delivered at 0.137 m/s to consume 1.8 kW would be 1800/0.137 N = 13,000 N or 13 kN, which is close to 3000 lbf. The efficiency might be 50%, so halve the force.

That's a good WAG.

1.8 kW is 1800 N*m/s. The broach speed is 8.2 m/min or 0.137 m/s. If the motor and drive were 100% efficient, the pull force delivered at 0.137 m/s to consume 1.8 kW would be 1800/0.137 N = 13,000 N or 13 kN, which is close to 3000 lbf. The efficiency might be 50%, so halve the force.

But being a 3 phase motor, it should be able to pull at least twice nameplate rating for short periods of time. I suspect a duty cycle of less than 20%. If so, twice nameplate rating should pose no problems.

If you really need to know, can you rig up a gizmo to measure the actual force? I use a hydraulic cylinder mounted vertically on a base, with a pressure gauge in the inlet port to measure force in my old screw presses. Simple, cheap, and accurate enuf.

Back