Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default how much deburring

I have a helix gear that dropped on a shaft, ground some weld and generally got battle bruised. The mating gear survived less for wear but had nasty "lips" in the middle. I took the big gear over to the dewalt Nichlson hobber after filling in the big voids with bronze, and the little one just used jewelers files to remove the lips.
    Now, I have sharp edges running along the top of each tooth; being that I removed material already I do not want to chamfer the edge - and defiantly do not want stress cracks. Is a two file passes each tooth enough?
    I can not replace gears- this is a repair - machine is down. They are not critical in backlash, hydraulic driven thru reducer (the main shaft runs 1700 ipm on od max). It has max load (beam) of 25 tons to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bobbin-win_20190404_223419.jpg   bobbin-win_20190404_222831.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

went with finger wrapped in 220 until a damp rag glided. Fingers crossed it last long enough for me to forget how it all comes apart. I have another box that needs similar attention tonight. oh, how I love day shifters effort on nights like these.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I took the big gear over to the dewalt Nichlson hobber
    That's a keeper.

Must be a powered version of a "Swedish Milling Machine"....