What's new
What's new

How to open a stp file

it is a STEP file, 3d model, Solidworks can open it, dreaded Fusion360 as well, there are few free viewers if you google around for STEP file viewer, even online versions if you're allowed to upload it to an unknown host

A customer sent me 2 stp files to quote, all well and good but I am basically computer illiterate. How do I open it?
STEP file, I think. Most CAD programs should open it. If not, there's free viewers you can grab online.

That always scares me because who knows what crap they put into the download but if worst comes to worst, do ya feel lucky, kid ?

That's a good use of a virtual machine, by the way -- opening possibly-bad programs or files.

btw, STP is the Racer's Edge :)

STEP file, I think. Most CAD programs should open it. If not, there's free viewers you can grab online.

That always scares me because who knows what crap they put into the download but if worst comes to worst, do ya feel lucky, kid ?

That's a good use of a virtual machine, by the way -- opening possibly-bad programs or files.

Customer left out the E.

I believe eDrawings from Solidworks is free. I use it from time to time to view 3d models. I think some are .stp files.

I am not the best with computers but google saves me all the time. Google led me to this forum a few years back as a matter of fact.

Customer left out the E.

.STP or .STEP is all the same. My cad program will open either as a .stp or a .step

If you've never opened a .stp (or .step) file:

• It may ask you to choose some things in a dialog box. Just go with the defaults.
  • The model that opens will be a dumb solid or an assembly of dumb solids.
  • Dimensions you will have to measure on your own via your CAD tool. No tolerances will be available for you to view.

I think you need to use software or app to open it. stp or .stp is file extension normally hold 3D assembly files in a 3D product model data exchange format. Free file viewer or stp viewer can help to solve the problem.

Your customer is likely assuming you will send the "stp" file to a CAM program and do the parts "on your CNC" (which it sounds like you may not have).

If that is the case, and the parts are one of those items that is fine for CNC and a royal pain manually, you may want to just "no-bid" them, because a CNC shop will likely be under your price anyhow.

Given a .stp for a part.
How do you know if features are +/-.0001 or .005?
Bob

You don't unless you get an accompanying drawing.

One of my customers uses a couple of chinese vendors who quote and deliver good parts with just the stp file, no drawings.

On the other hand when they ask a local (US) shop to quote their always asked for drawings, which I've tried to explain to my customer is because the vendor wants to know the tolerances, and likely the person quoting may not know how to use a CAD system to quote parts.

I'm the only US vendor they have who doesn't need drawings to figure out a quote, and probably knows the tolerances they require better than they do. It also helps that I'm typically cheaper than the Chinese vendors. The one thing I can't compete on is leadtime on large quantities of parts. What the Chinese can do in 2-3 weeks I need 6-8 weeks.

I get STEP files from 2 customers who use SWX.

The version of UG I have only recognises the stp (lower case, three letters)) extension. So I change the extention before I can translate.

If I have to rename a lot of STEP to stp files I use a batch file.

If you have never used a batch file, open Notepad.

type in
rename *.STEP *.stp

then save the file as translate.bat. Double click the file and it'll change all extentions from STEP to stp

Back