What's new
What's new

How to press-form this part

More details needed here about "similar" parts. Is this going to be made by feeding material off a coil or cut-to-length blanks? How many parts are needed? Pre-cut blanks better for very low number of needed parts, coil fed better for making high volume production runs. How long are the sides of the "U" shape? Length of sides ratio-to-radius is draw depth and affects overall die/form design. Expected accuracy? Expected accuracy in machining depends upon which machine used. Same rule for die design. I could bend a blank over a pipe in a vise, bend back the ears and then drill holes if I only wanted a few of these. Perhaps your expectations require better methods? Better die design (more expensive) results in lower cost-per-piece IF stamping out high volume production. I'm not trying to be vague, I can't give a better answer without more details of what equipment you intend to use, including making the die, how many parts are needed, approximate part dimensions, and what level of accuracy is needed. Is it possible for this to be made in one hit? Yes, but you may not want to. Is two forms/hits better? Maybe yes, but that may not be a good idea either. Can I go butterfly hunting with a hammer? Yes. End results often dictate the process used.

Hello,

sorry for lack of information.

The blanks are laser cut and I need tool for only bending. Low qty series - 100..200

Hello,

The blanks are laser cut and I need tool for only bending. Low qty series - 100..200

I see some welding in your future....A piece of solid round barstock (or burnout from plate)
for the inner mandrel, some outer blocks welded up from mild steel for the "feet" to land on, a framework on top (the punch)
Making a "c" shape of 1" plates welded. Maybe some tabs with pins to locate the blanks
(with the holes) into the "die".

Some old car tires cut up and applied into the "c".

50 ton shop press, and presto your makin' parts.

Hello,

-Ok, pre-cut blanks are to be used. Blanks cut from bar stock would have been cheaper than using a laser but that's your choice too. Using blanks helps define the process, no coil fed progressive die. Simple tooling, as mentioned by others in previous posts is solid advice. What will define the tooling design is what you've not mentioned, the required level of accuracy, rough part dimensions, and equipment you have that I asked about in my first reply. I understand that English may be difficult for you. If this is the reason for not including details then I'll keep my reply commensurately simple as well:

1) Weld round stock to a shank, there's your punch.
2) Weld a larger section of pipe to a base, there's your die.
3) Bend ears in vise
4) Drill holes.

Everybody here is trying to help, everybody that replied has spent more time giving free advice than Mr. Reivik has with describing his situation. Take no insult, none intended.

Ganbatte.

Last edited:
AD Design;3498510 3) Bend ears in vise [/QUOOTE said:
Oh come on....add a couple of leetle blocks on the punch to come down (as
the last thing) and spank the flats in....:D

I used "c" clamps on this one.....:skep:

Attachments

• GEDC0093.jpg
    GEDC0093.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 105
  • GEDC0085.jpg
    GEDC0085.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 99
  • GEDC0096.jpg
    GEDC0096.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 113
AD Design;3498510 3) Bend ears in vise [/QUOOTE said:
Oh come on....add a couple of leetle blocks on the punch to come down (as
the last thing) and spank the flats in....:D

I used "c" clamps on this one.....:skep:

-Well if the OP isn't putting much effort into his replies then neither am I. Not opposed to helping folks at all, just weary of inquiries from those that want you to do more than they do. Some can't even be bothered to say "thank you" after helping them. Your "C" clamps are the very definition of "temporary tooling solutions". I've done that too, just never left any evidence of it.

So, the final solution was that "ears" were made on universal press brake and for U we milled a solid piece of steel and used it on 4-column 50 ton hydraulic press
The problem was springback - we had to correct the clamp with big vise afterwards. No idea how to avoid that, perhaps press it hot ?

U press.jpg

There are some good You Tube videos showing press brake dies for over-bending to avoid springback. Sorry I son't have a link for you.

YouTube

watch from 20 sec.

Thanks, this is excellent, wizard level pressing tricks :)
I got the idea how to modify the form using polyurethane, if I get it rdy then I post some results. Only that I have no idea how to estimate springback, of course from current result I can make an approximation..
Lets see how it works out

And thank you once more ! :)

Back