What's new
What's new

How to remove flanges from motor shaft

skipd1

Cast Iron
I'm at a quandary as to how to remove these flanges from this motor shaft. I think they are pressed on but not sure. The shaft diameter on the inside of the shaft is 0.67" and the outside is 0.625 so it appears the flanges would pull off over the threads. I don't want to damage this shaft or the flanges. My original plan would be to use a bearing puller and maybe apply some heat to the flange and hope for the best. I'm hoping someone with experience in this area can give me some advise.

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1169_1.jpg

Your plan is the way to go..a puller and a bit of heat, and they'll slide right off. The flanges look pretty husky so hooking the jaws over the edge should be fine..no bearing splitter needed.

Stuart

Your plan is the way to go..a puller and a bit of heat, and they'll slide right off. The flanges look pretty husky so hooking the jaws over the edge should be fine..no bearing splitter needed.

Stuart

Agreed.
And if you put a protective aluminum plug between the end of your puller and the center hole of the motor shaft, you'll be about 1000% above any mechanic I ever met. Machine a little tit on the one end of the plug to keep it centered in the center hole, and a dimple on the other end for your puller screw.

If you want to do it cheaply then cut two sticks of scrap wood and snug them underneath the collar that is rusted. Then get two blocks of wood and hang the motor up in the air by a few inches with a towel underneath. Use a propane torch and apply heat to the collar and gently tap the shaft with a block of heavy wood. A couple sheets of aluminium might help protect the wood from charring. The other side has little clearance behind the collar so two strips of aluminium with a hole in the center would allow you to hang the motor and do the same operation as the first side.

Have done this many times with motor bearing removal. Always worked.

If you want to do it cheaply then cut two sticks of scrap wood and snug them underneath the collar that is rusted. Then get two blocks of wood and hang the motor up in the air by a few inches with a towel underneath. Use a propane torch and apply heat to the collar and gently tap the shaft with a block of heavy wood. A couple sheets of aluminium might help protect the wood from charring. The other side has little clearance behind the collar so two strips of aluminium with a hole in the center would allow you to hang the motor and do the same operation as the first side.

Have done this many times with motor bearing removal. Always worked.

Amazon has a cheapo bearing puller for $17 dollars..seems like a lot less effort than the "sticks $ towel" method, but I could be wrong.

Stuart

Last edited:

Back