What's new
What's new

This is how to resurrect "lost" photobucket photos (anybody can do this)

CountryBoy19

Stainless
This was posted on another forum I visit.

simply add "~original" to the very end of the image url and it will bring it back up.

I just tested this on a thread by another member about boring/honing a tailstock bore. I found that thread to have a lot of good information, but the "lost photos" diminished the value. I tried quoting one of the OP's posts with a photo and added that into the image line and it worked.

So "...img1234.jpg" would become "...img1234.jpg~original"

Unfortunately because site staff locks out the ability to edit posts, the only way to do this is to bump the old threads with a quote of the post you want to see the photos of. I wish there were another way, but they made the call, we'll work within the bounds they set.

You may want to push that issue a bit more vehemently. If this is true, it should be a fairly trivial effort for someone in position of support and access to grep sed the database and automatically do this for all photobucket links. The result being that said links would then work again, site wide. Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

If this is true, it should be a fairly trivial effort for someone in position of support and access to grep sed the database and automatically do this for all photobucket links.

I can't believe you sed that. Truly, awkful.

Hmm, it does work:

Here’s my modified version of the diagram, showing the actual resistor wiring:
EE_2674_Exciter_Detail_Actual.png~original

That work-around will surely cease to work soon enough. So while it is working, it'd be great to automate the migration of those images to a more stable hosting site (for a freebie, I like use.com). Though that volume of uploading to free hosting sites would likely trigger an account lockdown while they figure out what is going on.

There are some message boards that I have wanted to archive. Guess I should get it done while this work-around is working, and the many great reference images are briefly available.

OK, here is a test with one of my Photobucket images.

P6260012_zps7g2isugp.jpg~Original

All I see is the "clock of death".

But I can see Glug's image above. ????? Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

EPA.... For yours, even the photobucket fix for firefox shows the "meter".

The wiring diagram shows up fine.

P6260012_zps7g2isugp.jpg~Original

Yep, you're doing it a little wrong, plus there is another gotcha.

I popped over to the linked HSM thread a couple posts up, and quoted and previewed the message as a test, and so I could compare the URLs to what did work.

First, I notice it used ~Original rather than ~original. Case often matters, and in my test here, it does. Gotta use the lowercase.

Second, I notice the broken example uses the site name beginning with img.*, while my test used i163.*. Of course those are generated by pb. I changed img to i163 and it seems to work. It isn't clear whether that will work in all cases.

i163.* may be a more direct path to a specific server, rather than the generic front door of img.*. This may be unsupported at that front door.

Here's another test. One message in Harry's Monarch wreck update thread used img.*. That didn't work with the fix, until I changed it to i163.*. Other values between 100-205 seem to work, but I only tried a couple.

If all traffic is sent to i163, it may generate excessive traffic to a specific server and attract attention.

e31.jpg~original

Of course you have to know the file name. When I reply with a quote to one of my posts with several "death clocks" - all I get is the same thing in my reply with quote - no file names

Never mind - right click and view image info tells the tale:D

I tried it on another BB. It did not work. ?????

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/th...-20-quot-Drill-Press?highlight=Paul+Alciatore

Post #8: I added "~original" as you suggest. I still get the death clock. Perhaps Photobucket has caught on to this one already and blocked it.

Are you using a dash (-) or en-ye (~) aka squiggly dash? It's the squiggly dash you want, often located left of the numericals at the top of your keyboard.

That being said, I certainly agree that this may only last for a short while. I hope not, but the better, more trusting part of me, is in hopes that they've allowed this so as to not seem like the dicks that they are in killing so many good, valuable threads in numerous forums across the web.

I would hope that they let the old ones live, and the new ones won't permit this (IE, gotta find something other than PB for new pics).

What would be great is an addition to the 'manage attachments' menus that allows you to navigate to your 'original' photo in your retro-editable post, and click on a 'repair' button which uploads it from PB to PM with the file name automatically renamed, placing it in a user-named photo album on PM. By the time you get that automated, full-automation may be just a few more steps.

Don't know about the img vs. i163 thing.

Good photos bring a lot of value to the threads...

Chip

..... gotta find something other than PB for new pics).

I have tentatively been using "Imgur", but I really do not like them much.

You can put pics in albums, but to link to forums, you have to get the pics out of the big collection of all pics you have ever loaded. You can't do it from an album for some reason. And they do not do movies.

Plus, there is no way that I can find to delete a pic from Imgur. I uploaded the wrong one, and all I could find to do with it was to crop it to a very small size, so it took no space, and does not look like anything..

Maybe I just do not understand how to use Imgur, but that is what I found. There is another one that apparently does do movies, and may be better for the other issues as well. I saw a reference to it, and did not make a note, figuring I would remember, which I do not.....

Glug,

First, I did try it with both capital and small O. Neither one worked. Also the original link in that post had both a url=..... link and an img..... link. So I also tried using just the img link by itself. Neither of them worked. The img link with ~original added to it displayed nothing.

I went back and changed the leading img to i163 as you suggest and bingo, it worked. Now I see the Photobucket image. I am going to change all of them in that post and see how long it lasts. So an img link that starts looking like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/......jpg

Gets changed to this:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/......jpg~original

Of course, both are wrapped in the "
" tags.

Thanks for the tip.

P6260012_zps7g2isugp.jpg~original

Huh - interesting that it has to be both ~original - lower case - and prefixed with something other than .img. Here I used i215 rather than i613 ...

You may want to push that issue a bit more vehemently. If this is true, it should be a fairly trivial effort for someone in position of support and access to grep sed the database and automatically do this for all photobucket links. The result being that said links would then work again, site wide. Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

+1 Or "rpl". A tool a bit easier to grok than grep+sed.

OK here it is. First let me say that I am self taught in scraping and have ever used a power scraper. I stopped by the local import tool store and picked up a $20 sawzall. I opened up the transmission as soon as I got it home.
scraper001.jpg~original

Cleaned up:
scraper003.jpg~original

Based on the previous comments I would need variable speed and stroke adjustment. The tool already has variable speed. All I had to do was make the stroke adjustable.
scraper006.jpg~original

Stroke is adjusted by loosening the set screws. Unfortunately the design requires removing the rubber boot, 4 screws remove the top and then the set screws are in view.
scraper007.jpg~original

did this work?

add "fuck you,you photobucket pieces of shit" to the end of every URL. It won't do anything to display the images, but I sure wish someone yelled it at them every time a broken link is accessed

Back